Pulley uptop the mast??

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by 73sunfish, Jul 29, 2009.

1. 73sunfish

73sunfish New Member

I would love to be able to easily raise the main with one hand, the current end cap style just doesn't work for me really.

has anyone thought of putting a AMF alcort puffer style mast pulley on?

see picture.. any ideas or thoughts about this project?

[​IMG]

2. NightSailor

NightSailor Captain

Waste of time and effort. It goes up fine without a pulley. There are better things you can do with your boat.

3. 73sunfish

73sunfish New Member

fuzzy dice and shag carpet?

4. Webfoot

Webfoot New Member

Does not go up so fine if using 5/16 line. Solution given to me was to lash a Carbo Block to the top of the mast. You can still buy the flagpole pulleys used on the old SF but that means drilling a hole in the top of the mast. I think Carbo Block is a much better solution.

5. Ksjudson

Ksjudson Judkei

The early Sailfish and Sunfish had a single pulley (block) at the top of the mast that was used for raising the sail. The pulley was attached with an eye bolt that went through the mast.

You could easily duplicate this with a pulley from West Marine or other marine dealer. I think any pulley (Ronstan, etc.) that is large enough for your halyard would work fine. You might have to open the "eye" of the eye bolt a little bit so you can attach the pulley and then close the eye.

I assume Alcort replaced the pulley with the mast-top fairlead because it was less expensive.

Judkei
    Reno, NV

6. 58984 EW

58984 EW Member

Is it really that hard to raise the sail? What I mean by that is the effort required to steer and hold the sheet is greater than the effort to raise the sail, right?

7. Ksjudson

Ksjudson Judkei

Here is a post dated June 16, 2009 from someone who was looking for the pulley assembly to attach to the mast. You could try contacting Alan Glos to find out if he has another pulley assembly for sale.

Jukei
    Reno, NV

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm looking for the halyard fairlead pulley assembly to fit a '73 SF

ylojelo
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to ylojelo
    Send email to ylojelo
    Find More Posts by ylojelo
    Add ylojelo to Your Contacts

Jun 16, 2009, 07:41 PM #2
    Alan Glos

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have one. $10 + postage. Contact me directly at: aglos@mail.colgate.edu and I can mail it right out.

Alan Glos
    Cazenovia, NY

8. 73sunfish

73sunfish New Member

i would just like to be able to lower the sail faster and with more finesse.

what if i wanted to depower the boat and was depending on it to drop and not get stuck halfway down?

i have another question.. why was the pulley replaced with a fairlead bull's eye on the deck by the mast?

i have a broze pulley there.

9. 73sunfish

73sunfish New Member

10. predator

predator Fear the 'fish!

I just got back from a good time on the lake.

It was quite windy so I pushed off the dock without raising the sail. I pulled with all my might and couldn't quite get it all the way up. Coordinating one hand lifting and turning the boom to keep the gooseneck from hanging up and trying not to tip over in the wind and using all I've got to pull on the halyard-- I'm surprised the fairlead didn't come off the deck.
    I like the idea of a single pulley with the axle going through the mast. A couple of small U-bolts epoxied on each side should keep the halyard in place as a simple solution.

Of course, a custom designed cap with a pulley built in that replaces the plastic in the top of the mast would be better.

11. tag

tag my2fish

I am by no means an expert, but I have found it is easier (and a whole lot less stress on the fairlead or block at the deck), to adjust the height of the sail by pulling down on the halyard above the deck... that is, don't use the fairlead/block at the deck while hoisting the sail. I have the line fed thru the block, so after I've raised the sail, I pull the slack through the block, and tie it to the halyard cleat on the deck.

My next purchase will be a horn cleat to mount on the mast (we talked about halyard cleats here), which would make this operation even easier - just pull down the halyard, cleat it at the mast, then run the extra thru the fairlead/block and cleat it at the deck. Boom vang, if so desired.

Does that make sense?

tag

12. Wayne

Wayne Member Emeritus

Right..., no need to over think it.

Attached Files:

13. Wayne

Wayne Member Emeritus

The factory experts seem to agree, but hey, we don't need no stinking instructions... :rolleyes:
    http://www.laserperformance.com/main/images/stories/pdfs/Sunfish/Sunfish(US).pdf

Attached Files:

14. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

I raise the sail/rig just like tag described (and use a mast cleat). If I have trouble, I will put my left arm under the boom to lift it (being a 'righthander'). Never felt the need to install a pulley at the top of the mast; prefer to keep things as simple as possible. And I am no Olympian (weightlifter) either.

Just noticed that this is what the manufacturer recommends (thanks Wayne for pointing that out).....

15. Fred P

Fred P Member

I don't think the fairlead (or even the earlier block) was intended to be used while raising the sail. Anybody know otherwise?

Fred

16. Zeppo

Zeppo Member

You need two hands to hoist the main, and as TAG says you "jump" the halyard with one hand while you "tail" with the other. This is a small sail and does not require a ton of strength to hoist, although it could be hard for a young child.

There are various areas on a SF that would benefit from the reduced friction that blocks would afford. The builders probably are looking at simplicity and their bottom line.

17. 73sunfish

73sunfish New Member

again, i would like to be able to raise the sail even from a sitting down position.
    Thanks Alan i got your PM and will get back to you as soon as i can.

i will also be replacing the horn cleat with a cam cleat on the deck closer to the tub.. that should make it so that i don't have to be standing up all out of balance when trying to mess with my sail out in the open water.

[​IMG]

18. beldar boathead

beldar boathead Well-Known Member

If you put the cleat back near you, the halyard, which already stretches a lot when just being led to the horn cleat, is going to stretch even more since it is leading back to you near the cockpit, so your sail is going to sag even more.

Although inconvenient, there is a reason why the cleat is where it is. People generally move the cleat closer to the top of the mast by putting one on the mast. That limits how much halyard there is to stretch. You will make the problem worse.

If you are going to make any mods, tying a block to the topof the mast is the only one that makes sense, although I think that is unneccessary.

If you really want to make hoisting easy, and make it easy to tighten up the halyard at will, maybe you should install a winch back by the cockpit. When the halyard stretches, just use the winch to tighten things back up :D

BB

19. 73sunfish

73sunfish New Member

if i add a winch do i have to replace the halyard with steel wire?

jk:D

kisses!

20. Fred P

Fred P Member

If you install the winch, you take a winch wench with you crank it unless you have an electric winch (battery in the cockpit?).

Fred