Problems with the Trailex SUT-200-S

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by Neil, Jun 23, 2008.

1. NightSailor

NightSailor Captain

An Old Thread, but a good one. I will through bolt my brackets and perhaps reinforce the arms with some thicker aluminum plate to prevent the arm from flexing. Clearly this is not a long distance trailer. I wonder if there is a way to mount a suspension system on this trailer. Fortunately I have a steel trailer.

2. signal charlie

signal charlie Active Member Staff Member

Has anyone any experience with steel trailer from Harbor Freight?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=5002[/quote]

I've bought and sold 3 from Harbor Freight, they ride very nice and hold 12-15 foot boats well. They come in 3 boxes and take about 3 hours to put together.[​IMG]

On the other hand, I sold the Trailex because I did not think it was a good road trailer for a Sunfish. I towed it 7 miles from our old house to our new house and had locknuts come off. Also several bolts sheared when being torqued and I had the same bounce problem mentioned. I towed it one more time, actually got my mother-in-law to tow it :), then sold it to a guy who needed a kayak trailer.

3. HSC89668

HSC89668 New Member

i have a trailex and i do not have the problems that this forum has had. i purchased the trailer in 1999.
    what i did to the four pads that hold the boat to the trailer is i removed them and replaced them
    with a 2 x 8 that was the shape of the bottom of the boat. i then fastened them to the cradle with
    wood screws. this also supported the bottom of the boat better across the entire width of the boat
    not just where the four pads were on the bottom of the boat.

4. Sunfish65

Sunfish65 Member

I bought this trailer online from a guy on the west coast. It was a little more than the Harbor Freight model. The bunks are 5 feet long and support right near the chines of the hull. Could be a good option. I just added a 600 pound. winch. Probably not needed though due to the light weight hull. But I am getting up there in age.

Attached Files:

5. Hermi14

Hermi14 New Member

Hi guys. I'm a 50-yr old female Windmill* sailor who just bought my first Sunfish (a 1992). I don't trail a lot, but I did take the Mill from my hometown in Columbus, OH down to Midwinters in Tampa by myself once (hopefully that gives me a little street cred).

I ordered the Trailex SUT-220-S which is sitting in boxes on my back porch. I intend to put it together and use it to pick up the Sunfish up in Maumee, OH on upcoming Labor Day weekend. I'm a little worried even about assembling it because I don't even know how to measure how many torque pounds of pressure I'm using to tighten something! I'm depending on Google to learn these things. I will report back on my experience here.

I do have one question so far: How does the SUT-220-S differ from the SUT-200-S? I cannot find that info on the Trailex site.

*Windmill = Very lightweight 15.5' sloop with a hard chine. 200 lbs rigged. Planes easily. Very tippy.

6. danpal

danpal Active Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. HSC89668

HSC89668 New Member

you will also need a torque wrench to tighten the nuts which you can rent from a auto supply store

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2015
  8. HSC89668

HSC89668 New Member

I think that Trailex had a lot of complaints about the sut-200-s, so they now only make the trailer you have, the one with the leaf springs

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2015
  9. danpal

danpal Active Member

10. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

I agree with the above—after all, I wrote it—back when my only boat was a Porpoise 2. :rolleyes:

The bent axle appears to have been bent equally on both sides—perhaps by a speed bump. As long as the tires don't show any evidence of crabbing (toe-in/toe-out alignment), and are only wearing on the insides, that's not going to be an issue.

If I had this trailer, I'd reinforce each of those weak points with aluminum channel and pop rivets before those stresses show up.

11. Hermi14

Hermi14 New Member

Hi guys. Thanks for your responses DanPal and HSC89668! I successfully assembled the trailer mostly by myself, due to the documentation being excellent (kudos to Trailex).

I did borrow two click-style torque wrenches from a guy who works on cars. I was able to do the main assembly nuts to 30 ft/lbs myself (and only broke one off by not sensing the very subtle click). But I had a friend come over to help with the lug nuts on the tires (requiring 80 ft/lbs, which I was not strong enough to do).

My main problem has been that the jack accessory ADJUSTABLE FRONT PARKING JACK (RACK TYPE) Trailex Part 4-517 is completely inappropriate for the trailer as it is way to large and too heavy; the jack by itself would make up a larger percentage of the tongue weight than recommended (also defeating the purpose of having a trailer that can also serve as a manual launch dolly). I spoke with a rep from Trailex who said they had not had complaints about it in the past, which surprised me. She said I could return it and I mailed it back but haven't gotten a refund yet. As a replacement, I ordered the Pro Series Snap-Ring Swivel Marine Jack - PSEJ10000101 which is lighter weight.