Powerboat lake sailing

Kelly Nowaczyk

Unfortunately I live on a lake with a lot of powerboats. I'm haveing some issues with getting in the middle of the lake where the best wind is. It's very hard because when I set up my sail and put it into the water by the shore I can't really control the boat because the wind is getting caught up on docks and shore stations. That pushes the boat all over. Every time I go out it's very hectic because the boat goes all over the place, hitting boats and rafts. Has anyone had this problem? Can I paddle out then set up the sail in the middle of the lake?
Thanks

Unfortunately I live on a lake with a lot of powerboats. I'm haveing some issues with getting in the middle of the lake where the best wind is. It's very hard because when I set up my sail and put it into the water by the shore I can't really control the boat because the wind is getting caught up on docks and shore stations. That pushes the boat all over. Every time I go out it's very hectic because the boat goes all over the place, hitting boats and rafts. Has anyone had this problem? Can I paddle out then set up the sail in the middle of the lake?
Thanks
That's what I do.

Since you live on a lake, you might check out these possibilities:
Launching Off a Dock in Medium to Heavy Air | SailingForums.com

I've run into similar issues but fortunately, the lake I sail on has a boat ramp that is in a channel (no wake zone). This allows me to get away from shore, raise the sail and head for the middle of the lake before the wakes are an issue. If you can point the bow into the waves (regardless of where the wind is coming from) you won't bounce around as much.
Or, you could go up and sail with LVW after labor day when most of the power boats have gone home.

BB, good point. Sounds like paddling out of the mooring field before the sail is raised is the best option.

Back