Pearson Yachts Sunfish

farupp

Good swimmer
I have read that Paerson Yachts' built Sunfish should be avoided unless you really know what is being looked at. Why? What were the problems with these sunfish and what should be looked for and considered before buying one?

Thanks, Frank

Frank,

My experience would suggest that there were some quality control problems with some of the Pearson made Sunfish. I had one for 12 years, and while it never leaked (and hence remained light) it did develop some gelcoat cracks on either side of the cockpit. The cracks never extended into the fiberglass of the deck itself, but to be safe, I put a layer of fiberglass cloth and WEST epoxy resin oin the underside of the deck over the cracked areas. I know of at least one other Pearson Sunfish that leaked pretty badly (but then again, any Sunfish can develop leaks around the daggerboard trunk opening or the joint where the deck is joined to the topsides of the hull.) If you are looking to buy a Pearson Sunfish (or any make Sunfish for that matter), weigh just the hull by balancing it on its side on a good bathroom scale. Ideally the bare hull should be about 130 lbs plus or minus. It it is signifidantly heaver, say more than 140, the boat has probably leaked and absorded water into the inner foam of the hull and should be avoided unless you are willing to find and fix the leaks and install inspection ports to let the inside of the hull dry out (see the FAQ somewhere else in this website.) Also inspect the hull for obvious cracks, damage etc. but a few hairline deck cracks or "spider web" cracks elsewhere are usually not a cause for great concern and may be a good bargaining point for a lower price.

Good luck.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Thanks, Alan.

We already have three sunfish and I am not contemplating a Pearson built one. However, there was one an eBay a couple of weeks ago (Ibelieve it sold for about $1,300) and currently there is another one advertised as used only twice, like new (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=2492184633&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT) So, I became curious about the warnings about these particular boats.

Do you currently have a sunfish on eBay as well?

Off the subject, I grew up in Syracuse and my grandfather lived just outside of Cazenovia. I know Cazenovia and the lake.

Thanks again for the information, and I hope it helps others.

Frank

Back