Parts, I'm going to need some parts!

Jimbot

I'm fixing up a mod1 14.2 and need some parts. So here's a list of what I'll need and then we'll see what my wife will let my buy

Sails, preferably used, but with either no tears or well done repairs. I'd also like the biggest window possible in the jib.

A Centerboard. I can make some repairs if need be as long as it doesn't have a huge crack in it like mine.

Anything else you might have laying around that you don't want anymore (please limit to 14.2 parts, hahaha).

Also if some one could send me some pictures of how the centerboard tackle works in a newer than mine Capri, that would be cool. I'm thinking of modifying it. I can't seem to find a piece of bungee with the right compression ratio to pull the board all the way down.

In general I can't find any web sites with detailed pictures of Capri 14.2s. I'm looking for details like the centerboard up down mechanism, roller furling, etc. Any suggestions?

Jim

Jim,
You can probably get a parts list from Catalina for your 14.2. You'll also get some handy information sent to you when you join the 14.2 National Assn and more 14.2 'tech tips' in the Mainsheet magazine that will be mailed to you periodically.

As far as the centerboard bungee, start with 8' length and shorten it by tieing it with progressively longer lose ends to add more compression or pull. I had the same problem and discovered that the blocks were so old they just weren't spinning with the sheet when I pulled the CB up or let it down! Try shooting them with WD40.

Good luck,
RT
C14.2 Fleet 21
Lake Mission Viejo Yacht Club

Parts

I'd suggest you buy the Capri 14.2 Handbook, as listed in this website. It has many diagrams and a parts list as well.

I have an excellent used centerboard for sale. See my ad in the Classified section of this website. Your old Mod 1 board has a foam center and if it's cracked it isn't long for this world.

Centerboard for sale

Yeah, my centerboard is indeed in bad shape! I didn't see yours for sale in the classifieds, Ed. How much do you want for it? Also is it one of those cool jibing ones, do those work on mod1s?

Thanks,

Jim

Back