Outhaul Rigged on the Back of the Boom

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by viktor188924, Jun 14, 2007.

1. viktor188924

viktor188924 New Member

I take offense to that.

OBVIOUSLY i wouldnt be making knots while im sailing. I'm talking about the stuff that's already extra to begin with. You know, what keeps your ouhaul from slipping though the entire purchase system so you're not stuck on the water with the sail 2 feet from the boom and your outhaul hanging from the end of your boom in the water.

I guess i was just thinking wrong when i was talking about the purchases. Thats why there was a question mark next to it. You know, one of these--> ? <-- I've been kind of mixed up in my reasoning lately, probably since because I'm in another country at the moment the only time I have to post stuff is when I'm not out touristing... At night. I feel like a real dips**t now.

2. Ross B

Ross B Guest

Deimos I suggest you straighten up, you have no reason to be putting people down, if this continues I will contact Bradley

3. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

Well, I'll be. I totally agree with Ross B. Deimos, what is biting you? Please stop with the attitude.

4. viktor188924

viktor188924 New Member

how about:
    [​IMG]

5. Ross B

Ross B Guest

psssssssh, I'm telling ya the Colie system is the way to go

mine is slightly modified, the primary starts out by being tied around the boom, over the ear of the boom bail, instead of being tied on the thing, then throughthe clew strap, through the thing at the end of the boom and down the boom it goes inside the triangle of the boom vang, where the control lines goes through the 2 singles on the mast and the single w/becket on the boom.

the big kicker is my inhaul, which is hooked on the JC strap and then is led though the front boom bail, and then back and hooked on the boom cleat. it is my understanding that this is not legal, but I don't really care, because it should be, which brings me to my other point, iv you vote me to the NA Laser board, I will make it legal, and many other things legal!

[​IMG]

6. KdaP

KdaP New Member

hi, (first post, after a lot of reading)

over here in H.K. alot of *us* use the method by viktor188924 (the one from the diagram, not the picture). however what we do is that we tie a bowline in the red line so that the loop goes around the boom and the tail then goes along the boom and down. we do this to keep it up and out of the way.
    is it legal ?

kp

7. Ross B

Ross B Guest

yea you can tie the block around the boom

I forgot to mention that my single w/becket is tied around the boom

8. madyottie

madyottie Apprentice

Thats what I thought was normal, hence the comment about weight etc.
    As has been said on this thread before, every little helps! Especially when its like 2 metres to leeward of centre!

9. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Brmmm Brmmm

That's the system I use. To attach and disconnect the block at the gooseneck end of the boom, I have a short line with a knot tied in the end that is looped around the mast and sits above the gooseneck fitting. To attach the block, I double the line with the knot, push it throught hte becket and push the knot through the loop formed by the double line coming out of the becket. Then pull it tight. The knot locks the loop. Easy. I've tested it in stupid crazy wind speeds so all is good. Just makes riggin up etc that much faster. I don't have to remove the outhaul line or any of my sheet loops and positions everytime I de-rig. Everything stays where i had it last time.

10. viktor188924

viktor188924 New Member

hahaa yeah we've heard it all b4. so when you running??

oh yeah ive seen that too, the tying of the outhaul primary around the boom. do you do this so it doesn't interfere with the line going through the blue square thing by the clew? if no, why then?

i cant really visualize this. do you leave the outhaul on the boom or...

11. Ross B

Ross B Guest

write in my boy, you guys want me bad enough, make it happen and I will represent

12. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Brmmm Brmmm

everything stay on the boom and in the deck cleats in a big loop. The block stays on the control line and fastens/detaches to the line with the knot in it around the mast.

13. Nora171010

Nora171010 New Member

hey ross B, could you post a pic of ur system at the clew, the diagram is good, im just alittle confused about some things still

14. Yellow

Yellow New Member

Hallo Viktor,

Your diagram is the 6:1 I also use. In my humble opinion a good compromise between purchase and miles of string. Rig it like that, tie a nice handle so that it stops at 'maximum out', another mark at the 'upwind in' point and go out and win some races.

Geluk, Andrew

15. captainJack987

captainJack987 New Member

Does anyone know if you can replace the clew hook with a a clip, is it legal. I'm wandering because my clew hook came out yesterday in heavy winds and my boom came off and I'm concerned it will happen again, is there a way to prevent this besides pulling the out haul extremely tight?

16. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

You can use a shackle to attach the outhaul to the clew (and then tie the clew to the boom with either spectra or a clew strap)
    [​IMG]

Although you may want to post a pic or two of your existing clew hook setup here, it could be the way it's setup that caused the disconnect...

17. Ross B

Ross B Guest

I'll take a pic for you this weekend.

18. Karma

Karma New Member

Your logic is flawed. Thats like saying don't worry about making your boat fast, you have to win a regatta first. As anyone can clearly see, boat equipment would have an effect on how well you do. Shouldn't you been out there training instead of posting? You might as well just stop reading, and trying to make your boat fast as you could be training.... NEWS FLASH. People don't want to sail in every free time they have, some might want to work on their boats as its another way to get them a bit faster.

**** storm re-launched.

19. Ross B

Ross B Guest

Please see my post here:

http://www.laserforum.org/showpost.php?p=48718&postcount=227

what the heck, I'll post it anyways..

Send a message via AIM to Ross B

Title: Re: Ross Bennett's Olympic Path
    Someone on The Laser Forum asked me to post some pics of my outhaul, so I took some pictures today before I went out for practice. Please excuse the quality as they are from my camera phone. The system is pretty basic, it's taken from the Colie Sails MOJO package. The only alteration I made was to lengthen the line that line that runs along the boom, so that the single with becket is inside the triangle formed by the mast, boom, and vang, as I want the control line to be as short as possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. sk8ingsailor

sk8ingsailor Member

Gawd Ross, only took a few months to get a shot of that ;)

So you're running the standard outhaul, just you have your outhaul line longer so its inside the vang triangle. Good Idea, I might have to do that.

The JC strap. Qu'est-ce? It looks like the standard velcro strap.

Oh also, what do you use for your traveler? The blue shit that comes stock these days SUCKS.

And Purolio- I would say abut %60-70 of the regatta is won off the water. I bought a new laser in December and it's STILL not how I like it after 5 months of tuning. Every little thing can make a difference. No matter if it the local beer can series or the olympics, every ounce helps.