Outhaul Rigged on the Back of the Boom

Ross,
The day you actually win any regatta or get to the olympics, you can start worrying about the weight in the end of the boom.
Stop worrying so much about your equipment and start training.

Your logic is flawed. Thats like saying don't worry about making your boat fast, you have to win a regatta first. As anyone can clearly see, boat equipment would have an effect on how well you do. Shouldn't you been out there training instead of posting? You might as well just stop reading, and trying to make your boat fast as you could be training.... NEWS FLASH. People don't want to sail in every free time they have, some might want to work on their boats as its another way to get them a bit faster.

**** storm re-launched.

hey ross B, could you post a pic of ur system at the clew, the diagram is good, im just alittle confused about some things still

I'll take a pic for you this weekend.

Please see my post here:

http://www.laserforum.org/showpost.php?p=48718&postcount=227

what the heck, I'll post it anyways..

Send a message via AIM to Ross B

Title: Re: Ross Bennett's Olympic Path
Someone on The Laser Forum asked me to post some pics of my outhaul, so I took some pictures today before I went out for practice. Please excuse the quality as they are from my camera phone. The system is pretty basic, it's taken from the Colie Sails MOJO package. The only alteration I made was to lengthen the line that line that runs along the boom, so that the single with becket is inside the triangle formed by the mast, boom, and vang, as I want the control line to be as short as possible.

0611081134.jpg

0611081134c.jpg

Gawd Ross, only took a few months to get a shot of that ;)

So you're running the standard outhaul, just you have your outhaul line longer so its inside the vang triangle. Good Idea, I might have to do that.

The JC strap. Qu'est-ce? It looks like the standard velcro strap.

Oh also, what do you use for your traveler? The blue shit that comes stock these days SUCKS.

And Purolio- I would say abut %60-70 of the regatta is won off the water. I bought a new laser in December and it's STILL not how I like it after 5 months of tuning. Every little thing can make a difference. No matter if it the local beer can series or the olympics, every ounce helps.

We'll somebody asked for it last week, and yesterday was the first time I was able to get the pics. And I can't do Rigging 101's all the time, there's only so much rigging to go over!:eek:

Yea the velco strap is just a run of the mill velco strap, this is the Intensity Sails flavor. I like the JC Strap in idea, but I think it could be re-done, I'm not diggin the hook thing.

For traveler, I have some red line, probably spec/tech 12, it came with my boat, it works, it doesn't slip, so until it wears out, I won't change it. I have a secret for how I get it to work, maybe I'll share it with you soon in another Rigging 101!:cool:

And I agree with you, maybe not to 60-70%, but having your boat rigged correctly for you is enormous, it also helps you mentally to know that your boat is perfect for you and that it won't break down, and everything is just as you like it. It's one less thing to worry about. In order to win a race, or even do well, everything has to be FLAWLESS, the person that wins makes the least mistakes, in everything they do.

Gawd Ross, only took a few months to get a shot of that ;)

So you're running the standard outhaul, just you have your outhaul line longer so its inside the vang triangle. Good Idea, I might have to do that.

The JC strap. Qu'est-ce? It looks like the standard velcro strap.

Oh also, what do you use for your traveler? The blue shit that comes stock these days SUCKS.

And Purolio- I would say abut %60-70 of the regatta is won off the water. I bought a new laser in December and it's STILL not how I like it after 5 months of tuning. Every little thing can make a difference. No matter if it the local beer can series or the olympics, every ounce helps.

Ok...A lot of people (top guys) are moving to the purchase at the end of the boom. It's easier to pull in/let out. Also, with the system Ross has, as I stated in another post, your outhaul is subject to change from your vang. With the long primary running the length of the boom, when the breeze is on and you have to crank your vang, it will also change your outhaul setting. While this change is minor, it still changes the shape of the foot of your sail...With the purchase at the end of the boom, your primary is much, much shorter thus eliminating this issue. End of the boom also cuts down on rope in the cockpit. I have tried this based on advice from a few laser sailors, including Andrew Childs, former top national team member.

Now after saying this, I recommend you give it a try. I can almost guarentee you will like it better than the old way. I know I do. I'll post pics soon of the way I have it set up.

Worrying about the added weight at the end of the boom...give me a break

When I recently converted to the new rigging style, I went for the boom-aft outhaul setup.

Attachments

• 20080526_1050.jpg
    20080526_1050.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 20080526_1052.jpg
    20080526_1052.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 106
That's exactly what my set up looks like. The purchase (my secondary) may be a bit shorter, bout other than that it's the exact same.

Wicked system

Get an inhaul rigged dude!

I also prefer having my outhaul on my port side so when I round the windward, my cunningham is in a more convenient spot in case i need to pop it manually.

I have seen some people rig their outhauls on the back of the boom:
outhaul_rig_clew_to_cleat.jpg

Have any of you tried this?

This is the system i use and it works really well. Also you can leave everything on the boom and unless you are a world class sailor the wieght of a couple of tiny blocks and a bit of rope are not going to make a whole lot of difference, even with a gybe i dont think the momentum of the combined wieght in the middle of the boom would be likely to have you in?! I mean, come on!!!. I took a second in my club race last week with this system ( yes Al, second that was) and first laser to finish (yes Al, first laser to finish). I would go with this system.

This is the system i use and it works really well. Also you can leave everything on the boom and unless you are a world class sailor the wieght of a couple of tiny blocks and a bit of rope are not going to make a whole lot of difference, even with a gybe i dont think the momentum of the combined wieght in the middle of the boom would be likely to have you in?! I mean, come on!!!. I took a second in my club race last week with this system ( yes Al, second that was) and first laser to finish (yes Al, first laser to finish). I would go with this system.

We'll see what results are posted! :p (Rule 41 ;)) And if you beat me, how come I had Kermit up on the beach and de-rigged before you got Goose ashore? :D

Anyway, I'm celebrating cos every Alby was behind me all night (and the Wayfarer too)!

Mind you, leading Laser isn't much of a boast when Al sailing Kermit was the only class competition! How would you have done if Surgical Steve had been sailing???:p

That's exactly what my set up looks like. The purchase (my secondary) may be a bit shorter, bout other than that it's the exact same.

Wicked system

Get an inhaul rigged dude!

I also prefer having my outhaul on my port side so when I round the windward, my cunningham is in a more convenient spot in case i need to pop it manually.

You are saved from pic duty :D

instead of the line at the end of the boom going through the clue, could you still have a shakle there?

Also, I'm guessing your running 2 to 1 on you Cunningham?

We'll see what results are posted! :p (Rule 41 ;)) And if you beat me, how come I had Kermit up on the beach and de-rigged before you got Goose ashore? :D

Anyway, I'm celebrating cos every Alby was behind me all night (and the Wayfarer too)!

Mind you, leading Laser isn't much of a boast when Al sailing Kermit was the only class competition! How would you have done if Surgical Steve had been sailing???:p

Dont put yourself down Al my good man, i have every faith in you!! As for surgical steve, whats that saying? You gotta be in it to win it? Well, he wasnt in it!! We will show them all!!

You are saved from pic duty :D

instead of the line at the end of the boom going through the clue, could you still have a shakle there?

Also, I'm guessing your running 2 to 1 on you Cunningham?

Yeah, I took out half the purchase...so whatever ratio that makes it, I don't know.

If you keep all the purchase, you end up with a cockpit full of line when you pull it in.

I think we're all strong enough to lose that extra purchase.

I've been reading about all the different methods, well there is certainly a lot of choices... but can someone tell me WHICH one is used when you purchase a new laser today?

It very much depends on which 'model' you buy. If you buy a 'Classic' then you will get the standard classic rigging which simply goes from the fairlead, through the cringle in the clew, back through the fairlead and to the bleat on the boom.

If you buy a race or an XD then I believe you will get something very similar to the drawing above. Most new boats sold would be the XD version (I would imagine). In reality on a new boat you just get loads of blocks and ropes and make it up yourself with the help (ha ha) of some diagrams and confusing pictures.

Back