Outhaul/Cunningham Help

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Pedal-Force, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Deimos

Deimos Member

I rig pretty much the same but tie the line to the becket rather than using a clip/shackle ('cos I have not found one to hit through the sail eye (class legal sails)). Only takes a second to tie/untie a bowline s so does not slow down rigging

Ian

2. Pedal-Force

Pedal-Force Member

The problem I'm having (and others as well judging from old threads) is that it takes a while to untie that tiny line after it's under stress for a while.

It also takes me about three tries to tie the line where I want it. I guess I can fix that by cutting it to length though.

I'm gonna swing by West Marine on my way to the lake today with my measuring tape in hand. Gonna try to find something that fits through the grommet.

3. 203

203 Very Senior Member

Ronstan RF1032 Halyard Shackle will prolly fit thru the hole. I don't have all the bits here to try it, but it's a good bet.

If you buy one and it doesn't go, I'll buy it from you. I need a couple on my C-15.

I guess you're going to Norman. It filled in nicely yesterday, was like glass early PM though.

4. Pedal-Force

Pedal-Force Member

Yeah, I was out yesterday. It was really patchy. I headed out towards the channel from Blythe but it just got worse. I spent most of my time in the cove sailing back and forth. I'd be sailing along nicely on a beat in a solid breeze, and then ahead of me I'd see glass. Sail into the glass and the wind went from 15 mph to 0 mph in an instant. Crazy stuff.

Is your boat red? If you launched from Blythe I think I saw you coming back in.

5. Pedal-Force

Pedal-Force Member

Got a good sail in today. Wind was ridiculous. Strong, then glassy for an hour or so, and then strong again.

Anyway, I swung by West Marine on the way and picked up the smallest D-shackle they have (straight, not bow). It barely fits through the grommet. So now I've got my bowline tied around that, and then I just put it through the sail (with the screw pin out), put it on the becket and then run the pin in and screw it down. Tighten it with my shackle tool on my knife and I'm good to go.

6. 203

203 Very Senior Member

No, mine is orange. White (well, sorta off white) deck. I put in at LNYC when I sail Norman. However, to date I am way too big a wimp to Laser sail in water that's under 65 degrees. I use those days for fishing and dreaming.

Since I live on High Rock, I don't do the majority of my sailing over there on the big water. We have one other Laser here on HRL so there's not much racing going on. But we do fun sail a lot.

7. Pedal-Force

Pedal-Force Member

You should get a drysuit. It makes the water temperature almost irrelevant.

I've sailed when it's 45* water, wearing nothing under my drysuit, and been perfectly comfortable in the water.

8. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

I'm still using that same hook...They made me take it off at the 2004 masters worlds but not since.

On sailing days I don't see any point in wasting precious sailing time messing with some dinky knot in that skinny hard to handle line.

I already bust enough fingernails off to the quick and have no urge to find other new ways to fold wet soft fingernails over backwards.

I use the Wichard shackle and it has fit every sail I ahve ever tried.

The trick is to roll the pointy end of the shackle through the grommet and then the spring just barely makes it across the edge of the grommet and through the opening.
    \

but mostly I anaswered this to pimp the regatta

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

9. Pedal-Force

Pedal-Force Member

Brilliant. I don't know why I never considered rolling it through while open. I'll definitely switch back to it instead of that d-shackle. Pins, even screw pins, are a pain. Plus I have to get my knife out to tighten it.