outhaul blocks

PressureDropBG

Often times in heavy winds, i will have trouble quickly and easily adjusting my outhaul. Would it be legal to create a system where there would be a double block system attached to the eye on the boom, and single block system (with tie-off like on cunningham) on the eye of the sail just to make adjustments easier in heavy winds?
Thank alot,
Brendan

The most common in our fleet is a 6-1 system (2-1 at the clew end and 3-1 at the gooseneck end)

The low cost way is to buy a single Harken 16mm airblock with becket (part 405) or Harken micro with becket (part 225), and put that on the end of the primary line coming from the clew end. Move the existing single block that used to be on the end of the primary line onto the same loop that holds the forward block on the mast at the gooseneck - it's more or less what you are describing.

Also, to keep friction down, use a block at the clew as opposed to running the primary thru the clew ring, Mclube the end of the boom at the clew and use a 1" clew strap as opposed to a line.

Another option is a cascading 8-1 system - Governail has some pic here...
http://schrothfiberglass.com/RiggingforLaser.htm

I have a 12-1 system that works really well all it is is one line with 3-1 from clew to 1st block(harken carbo or a single block with a becket ) then I tie a bowline with a really long line and go to the cleat then I round the 1st block and tie the end of the line to block 2 2-1 then a simple 2-1 with my second rope ( second control line) tie it to the mast through a block down to the deck and threw deck pulley to the cleat intotal 6 turning points and 2 control lines

Thank for the input! OliLaser, would it be possible for you to attach a photo of the system that you described? thank you very much!
Brendan

i dont actually have a picture and cant take one for a while ( winter) but i can explain it.
1. Attach a pulley(micro bloc) to clew of sail
2.Get about 25ft. of 3mm spectron
3.tie a bowline on padeye on boom
4.thread through the pulley on sail and throught the pad eye so the rope is now pulling towards the bow
5.attach a block (block 1 for explaination) to the rope with a bowline and leave it so the long part of the rope is free to tie
6. take the free end and tie it to the cleat using a bowline with a realyy long tail
7. use the tail of the bowline to go through block 1 and back towards the bow
8. attach another block (block2) to the rope leaving a little tail (run out of rope) and thats the end of control line 1
9.for the block 2 simply thread a 5mm piece of swiftcord through block 2 and tie one end to mast the other goes through a block on the mast leading it down to the deck block then to the cleats

Back