Olympic Games Laser Sailing

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by laserxd, Jul 12, 2012.

1. James W.

James W. Member

Well shoot, I AM eating crow right now. Just saw recorded video of women's radial medal race
    on NBC Olympics website and it was FABULOUS ! Hope they'll have the Men's Laser video out
    soon.

2. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

I haven't watched the NBC version of the Lasers medal race, but did watch the BBC version for Stars/Finns and both Laser medal races. Except for the over use of those two words,"BEN AINSLIE" the commentary was great on BBC, even with the obvious British POV. The footage was excellent, highly recommend anyone slightly interested in racing watch any/all of them

3. minifish2

minifish2 Active Member

I know this is the worst possible venue to raise this issue -- there's precedence, of course -- and among all sailing classes this sort of strategy is most likely to be applauded in this one. From the perspective of a minority of probably one, though, match racing in a fleet competition - taking your closest competitor (and yourself) completely out of the final race of a regatta if you have enough margin to trash it for both of you, is... is not good. It still doesn't set right, no matter who does it and how much we might otherwise admire the competitors who pull it off.

Of course, the sailing gods disagree with me on this. I figured they'd eventually punish this kind of thing, but we've seen that they don't. On the contrary. So I'm probably wrong on this, and wrong to hold on to these kinds of quaint notions. But I still don't like it. Then again, I'll never be an Olympic sailor anyway.

The good news is Pavlos Kontides, at 22, hopefully will be back for another shot in four years. Maybe next time he'll get his full week of heavy air.

4. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

How awesome was it to watch Pavlos win the FIRST EVER medal (in any sport) for Cyprus.

5. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Yeah, Slingsby definitely got the better Kontides. He seemed to give up on the second upwind leg. The cameras were focused on those two when I think there was a much better match race going on between SWE and CRO. Did someone forget to tell GUA stay out of other people's match races?

I was rooting for Annalise, but her downwind speed just didn't seem to match her upwind speed. I'll say this for Xu Lijia. She's a very fast - and very shrewd - sailor. She pulled that luff off at just the right time.

I'm certainly not a fan of the medal race concept. However, I think ten boats made for better racing and better TV coverage. Maybe they should run a series of heats, then narrow down the number of competitors for more than just one race?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Deimos

Deimos Member

7. Deimos

Deimos Member

I have the impression that the coverage/broadcast of the events is a bit of a mess - driven by commercial interests rather than allowing people to view the events that they want to watch. For example, the BBC stream radio over the internet (e.g. to allow expats to listen to the news programs). However, when the Olympics started the BBC had to withdraw their streamed news coverage of all news (not just Olympics) as they did not have adequate agreements with the IOC. There was a bit of UK reporting of this and I believe the IOC quickly relented - so at least expats to listen to regular news (i.e. all news not just Olympics news).

A classic example is the hand driers (and at some venue the soap dispensers) in the public toilets. It seems that the manufacturers of these devices were not Olympics commercial sponsors. Thus, to protect the interests of the genuine commercial sponsors, the brand names on these devices have been taped-over - to ensure that no non-sponsors gain commercial benefits from the event !!

It was encouraging to see the crowds on the beaches at Weymouth watching the sailing events. The hope is that this will inspire the UK population to take up sports and become more active. There seems a lot of effort being put into increasing public participation is sport (though it looks like tis is not to be backed-up with money). Many are worried about what (in the UK) is called "The Wimbledon Effect" - where every year after Wimbledon Tennis Championship half the population gets out their Tennis racquets and two weeks later put them away; basically a short-lived interest that dies once the TV coverage drops below 90% air-time.

But as somebody living in the UK I now consider that the Olympics is not what it should be. It seems to have evolved way beyond a sporting competition to being a exhibition of national pride that has ever less and less to do with the sports. For example, what has the "Opening Ceremony" got to do with sports. In what way does the song and dance routine got to do with any of the sporting competitions ? In the UK we had months of the Olympic flame being carried round the country (with 8000 torch carriers, each getting their torch which cost £200 each!). The "flame from Greece" was actually started to add a bit of spectacle to the 1936 Nazi Olympics in Berlin - so what has this to do with a sporting competition ? In the Laser class it seems likely that a few races held every 4 years are restricting the availability/development of a new sail - something many believe is a major impact on the class (e.g. through driving people to 3rd party sails or giving the boat a "reputation" ...).

I have found is surprising when some competitor appears on TV completely dejected because they missed a medal only coming 4th. I consider that being 4th in the world pretty good and that this medal/non-medal threshold seems totally daft and has little to do with achievement. And when countries have medal targets and tallies, rankings by country/per head of population/by country GDP/etc..

So I do question whether the Olympics actually helps or hinders sporting overall.

Ian

8. torrid

torrid Just sailing

I was yelling at the TV during the Radial medal race.

9. James W.

James W. Member

I love reading this forum !!! You get every possible angle at your finger tips. Great learning/very educational !

10. tonyquoll

tonyquoll Member

After the fantastic coverage of the America's Cup, I was really hoping for that quality of coverage for the Olympics. I don't have Foxtel, the local pub has it but is shut at 11om when the sailing starts. The only race screened free-to-air in Aus so far has been the Laser medal race. Why aren't replays provided online, & can't the tracking can't be streamed live? Seems like corporate $ have completely ruined the event by blocking proper coverage. Frustrating to trying to follow races by reading lines of text on the internet. Let's hope there's a DVD of it all to watch later.

Best sites to follow the Olympic sailing action:
    - commentary stream at: http://live.2012.sailing.org/Event/I...c_Sailing_Blog
    - live order and timing of boats rounding buoys and finishing, click "LIVE" in middle of screen: http://www.london2012.com/sailing/
    - a live picture every few minutes at http://new.livestream.com/yachtingwo...c-sailing-2012

HUGE thanks to Finn Murphy, posting under @Annalise_Murphy on Twitter; brilliant commentary during the Laser Radials heats.

11. LaserBill

LaserBill Member

I just looked at some of the still photos of the Laser competition and I have a few questions. What are the white things mounted on the deck in front of the mast on most or all of the boats? And what are all those things that are attached to the front of the mast below the sail? They look like hand held radios which I thought were illegal in the Laser class.

12. AlanD

AlanD Former ISAF Laser Measurer

The white boxes on the deck were the cameras. The items mounted on the mast were the GPS trackers also used in the coverage.

13. LaserBill

LaserBill Member

Thanks. Since I did not see any of the video coverage I did not think of those things. Now that I know they had deck mounted cameras I really want to see the video.

14. laserxd

laserxd Member

is there a way to watch the BBC version in the USA?

15. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Write-up on the USA Olympic effort in sailing.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20120809/us-sailing-olympic-failure/

• Like Like x 1
  16. tag

tag my2fish

The New York Times has an opinion piece - which sport should be eliminated from the Olympics? One guys' opinion was sailing, as:
    http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebat...cs/sailing-is-a-sport-apart-from-the-olympics
    So sailing is more "uppper class" than say... the horse dressage and jumping events?

17. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Yes, see the 7/30 post by 49208

18. laserxd

laserxd Member