Olympic Games Laser Sailing

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by laserxd, Jul 12, 2012.

1. laserxd

laserxd Member

Is there a way to watch the olympic sailing especially laser sailing in the USA?

2. torrid

torrid Just sailing

NBC website says "Full live streaming of sailing - all 10 boats - will begin Sunday, July 29". They did the same thing in 2008, and it was quite watchable with decent video quality (for the internet). I think the only play-by-play was by text comment. The biggest problem was the races in China were running at 2 AM US time, slightly less of a problem with London.

3. Matt B

Matt B Member

Do you get BBC sport because they’re doing full coverage of it just thinking you might because we get some really sh*t US TV channels but that’s a rant for a different day.

4. torrid

torrid Just sailing

It might be available on digital cable or satellite, but any Olympics coverage would probably be blacked out in the US. NBC pays beaucoup dinero for exclusive coverage here. And then proceeds to only show selective sports.

5. laserxd

laserxd Member

we do get BBC, (I agree we have some terrible channels here in the US including nbc) that would be great if we can watch it on BBC!

yea nbc has the rights, they're not covering any sailing whatsoever!

They are however covering the badmitton qualifying rounds, great job nbc!

6. James W.

James W. Member

Ok, we gotta get this straight and SOON! Is NBC going to show sailing or not ?????

7. James W.

James W. Member

8. laserxd

laserxd Member

nbc is not going to show any olympic sailing, at least in the NYC area

9. Eric_R

Eric_R D10 Secretary

That wasn't the point. The site says they will stream it all.

10. laserxd

laserxd Member

I'd rather watch sailing in HD on my tv and stream badmitton...

That was my point

11. torrid

torrid Just sailing

I can't watch my TV at work.

12. Tillerman

Tillerman Member

badmiNton

• Like Like x 1
  13. laserxd

laserxd Member

ah you're right Tillerman!

It would be nice if they could just stream sailing live+repeat and also play it on tv in HD (even if its not live)...

14. oztayls

oztayls Member

Seems we are in luck here is Oz with 8 new dedicated Olympic channels. This is from the Fox website:-

Every nation's gold medals LIVE and in full
    Watch on 8 new dedicated channels
    Available in stunning High Definition
    Foxtel will bring the glory of the London Olympic Games to life with eight brand-new, dedicated channels that will air in both High Definition and Standard Definition.
    With around 1,100 hours of live events, and over 3,200 hours of total coverage, Foxtel will showcase all the drama, electricity, joy and despair of the Olympic Games as they’ve never been seen before on television.
    The channels are*:
    LONDON 1: Swimming, Diving, Synchronised Swimming, Water Polo
    LONDON 2: Cycling - Track, Cycling - BMX, Cycling - Mountain Bike, Cycling - Road
    LONDON 3: Gymnastics - Artistic, Gymnastics - Rhythmic, Gymnastics - Trampoline
    LONDON 4: Athletics - Track
    LONDON 5: Athletics - Field
    LONDON 6: Equestrian - Jumping, Equestrian - Eventing, Equestrian - Dressage, Fencing, Table Tennis
    LONDON 7: Rowing, Canoeing - Sprint, Canoeing - Slalom
    LONDON 8: Beach Volleyball, Sailing, Football, Hockey, Weightlifting
    The remaining sports will be shown across a range of channels depending on the competition schedule.
    For the first time ever, Foxtel subscribers will be able to see every single Gold Medal event live and in full. No matter what sport you love, or which country you barrack for, you will not miss the world’s best athletes as they vie for Olympic gold.
    Over the 17 days of competition Foxtel will broadcast all sessions and matches of sport in full, with all major sports shown live. And with MyStar, you can record**, pause and rewind live TV so they see all the action at a time that suits you.
    Foxtel's ground-breaking coverage of the LONDON 2012 Olympic Games will go live on July 25 AST to include live coverage of the 14 football matches that precede the Opening Ceremony. Competition will commence on air at 6.00pm on Saturday, July 28 (AEST).
    * Some sports listed may appear across different channels as determined by the competition schedule. May not be available in some building types. **Remote record available from July 21.

15. oztayls

oztayls Member

In addition, for Aussies, free to air Channel 9 will also be screening the sailing from 5-11 August.

16. laserxd

laserxd Member

Wow! Australia is on their game!

17. AlanD

AlanD Former ISAF Laser Measurer

Typically, we see maybe a 5 minutes highlight package each night at some stage (wich they don't announce) of the sailing on the free to air, even if it's the gold medal race where we have already bagged a medal. The TV stations prefer to show repeats of the swimming heats a dozen times and the finals 2 dozen times.

The number of people subscribing to pay TV is quite small.

18. oztayls

oztayls Member

Not really Alan, 34% of Australian households is pretty substantial. No wonder the population is getting fatter by the year!

19. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Well shoot. It was actually more convenient for me to watch the streaming video in China than in London. Looks like all the races are going to start at 7 AM. I guess I WILL have to watch it at work.

Does anyone know if they will have live coverage of all events, or just one event each day? I think the past, they have concentrated the coverage on only one course at a time.

20. torrid

torrid Just sailing

So why did they drop windsurfing from the Olympics in 2016 again? They say they needed an exciting spectator sports?

[​IMG]

????