Olympic Coverage?

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by GCRicker, Jul 17, 2008.

1. GCRicker

GCRicker New Member

NBC will be covering the Olympics, but I can't find anything on the Laser competition coverage. Does anyone know if NBC will cover this on a regular TV network, or if I have to order some special Internet site to watch all the Laser events?

2. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Don't know about the upcoming games, but NBC had very limited coverage four years ago. It was still more than they have ever done before. There was a nightly re-cap on at 2:30 in the morning showing about five minutes of sailing action. On the Bravo channel. I suspect they'll do something similar.

3. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

Yep. that was it last go around.

4. Bradley

Bradley Administrator Staff Member

5. GCRicker

GCRicker New Member

Thanks Bradley! That PDF file is just what I was looking for.

6. vooreps@mac.com

vooreps@mac.com New Member

7. GCRicker

GCRicker New Member

From the schedules I've seen, all Olympic sailing events will be online in the middle of the night (Eastern Time). Does anyone know if there is a way to record these online events so they can be watched during the day?

8. El Niño

El Niño New Member

Are they going to show in "real time" in internet the regattas with GPS devises install in each boat?

9. dcookiefilled

dcookiefilled New Member

Hey I checked today to watch the sailing videos and the player said that NBC online videos were restricted to viewers within the US. What's up with that??

10. sorosz

sorosz Member

My guess is it has something to do with exclusive rights. Probably whoever has the rights in your region required it. There was a recent news piece about how NBC was scrambling to get Youtube and foreign sites to take down video or prevent US viewers from seeing it to protect their "exclusive" rights to broadcast. But, according to the article, it seemed like people were often one step ahead and coming up with new links as fas as they could shut down the old ones.

11. LooserLu

LooserLu LooserLu

Hi,
    if one lives at Europe andf is able to receive "digital"-TV via "Astra"-Satellite, it is not a bad idea to view the German free digital channels "zdf-infokanal", "zdf-dokukanal" or "eins-plus" or "eins-festival".

One has to look !!DAILY!! at the so called "electronical programm guide" EPG at the "TV/Sat.receiver" at each of that TV-channels, to find out when they transmit sailing there. The informations at their homepages are not trustful, in relation when they plan to transmit sailing.
    Yesterday they didn't transmit sailing (Finn/Yingling), unfortunately, although they announced they would do, grrr. Today they did transmitt about 1 hour(!!!!!) of 49er races in the best quality I have ever seen (except: AC at Valencia, of course). The have "onboard cams" at bigger Dinghies (unfortunately not at Laser, I guess).
    One may get the opinion, to sit with them on their boats or at the RC boat in direct neighborhood of the racers, sometimes....., whow....

I pray for that they transmit Laserraces, beginning from next tuesday (12.8.).

Cheers
    LooserLu
    -----------------------------
    !GO FOR GOLD! - Petra Niemann

12. odinsvitskjaldr

odinsvitskjaldr Member

Just tried viewing vids using the "rewind" option and got a technical problem message, something about NBC's been notified of the prob and is working on it. Hopefully the glitch wll be fixed soon.

13. fat-n-old

fat-n-old Member

Coverage is excellent in the UK. I've just watched the Laser 1st and 2nd race live followed by the radials all with good commentary by Shirley Robertson. Available online on the BBC website as well as digital TV. Same again tomorrow, starts at 6:00 BST.:)

14. Murphs

Murphs New Member

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but i hate you

I had to 'watch' the laser sailing on the sailing.org website which only showed positions at mark roundings

15. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

Can you give us a link?

16. fat-n-old

fat-n-old Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/default.stm

The above link gives the choice of six live sports streamed online. (the same content as our interactive TV) but it appears to be restricted to UK users. Sorry (I'd try it anyway there must be a work-around)

17. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

USA: I think that one (or two?) of Tuesday's Laser races (don't know which one(s)) was live on-line on www.nbcolympics.com, between 1 and 3 am (8/12). But I haven't found a way to watch it at a more 'reasonable' time :(

Anyway, Anna is in first place and Andrew in the mid-teens.
    Winds were light (no surprise). Trapezoid courses.

PS: Tom Slingsby seems to not like it at all in Qingdao. From a sailing perspective, he is not the only one....

18. GCRicker

GCRicker New Member

For some unknown reason, NBCOlympics.com has no "rewind" feature for any of the Day 4 sailing events. Bad luck for us Laser fans.

19. LsmithIII

LsmithIII New Member

I was just watching todays laser races on NBC's website, I think this is the direct link http://www.nbcolympics.com/rss/sport=sa/video/index.xml

If that doesn't work, go to NBC's Olympic website, go into the sailing section, and find somewhere to select "watch video", its there if you look for it.

20. LsmithIII

LsmithIII New Member

Yep, the link I posted above works, it will bring you to a web page, click on the green arrow, and then wait for your video player to load, then there will be an advertisement, after that coverage begins. I fast forwarded through the first twenty minutes or so as the start was delayed due to lack of wind.