Olympic coverage/Rio 2016

im probly bias:p but i dont get that one of the most popular sailing class has only got 1 full day :eek:and rsx, fin ,etc had more air time. common i can assure you more people sail lasers than nacras

argh!!!!!!! thats the problem why theres no video of those races??????
i can bet theres more people interested in the laser/radial class tha the whole rsx, nacra,fin combined (i kinda like the 470, 49ers :p)

There are probably more sailors interested in the dinghy action. I bet the organizers had hoped the 49ers, Nacras, and windsurfs would draw more general viewers, but it appears not.

Thanks. I keep getting a message that says:"This video is not available due to location restrictions or authorization failures." I have no idea what that means since I can get streaming Olympic coverage for other sports, just not the sailing. Anyone know what is going on?
LaserBill,
I have been watching the Olympics constantly, live streams and full replays, as much as i want so i don't know where this talk of a 30 minute subscription is coming from. Some airport wifi's have 30 minute timeouts so you just have to reload their wifi every 30 mins, which is a pain.
Also, you have to have a participating cable provider. If you are paying your cable bill nbc will let you watch their stream as much as you want "free" since you've already paid for it. I just had to sign in to nbcolympics 1 time, select directv from the list, entered my valid directv email address and password, it's verified and viola!
Now, as far as the message you were getting I had the same thing when I tried to watch the events from the live tv stream. I had selected my local nbc affiliate in atlanta wxia, even though i was on business in new york. I then got the same message. I finally figured out that my wifi's ip/server address was in denver. I looked up at the address bar and it said something like blah-blah-et-ct. I deleted that and put -mt and it worked! Apparently the wifi & my ip address weren't talking to each other so i helped them out a bit.
Hope this helps.
P.s. i've also been watching on an acer chromebook and it's fantastic! My iphone, regular acer netbook, and other tablets just want to konk out.

LaserBill,
I have been watching the Olympics constantly, live streams and full replays, as much as i want so i don't know where this talk of a 30 minute subscription is coming from. Some airport wifi's have 30 minute timeouts so you just have to reload their wifi every 30 mins, which is a pain.
Also, you have to have a participating cable provider. If you are paying your cable bill nbc will let you watch their stream as much as you want "free" since you've already paid for it. I just had to sign in to nbcolympics 1 time, select directv from the list, entered my valid directv email address and password, it's verified and viola!
Now, as far as the message you were getting I had the same thing when I tried to watch the events from the live tv stream. I had selected my local nbc affiliate in atlanta wxia, even though i was on business in new york. I then got the same message. I finally figured out that my wifi's ip/server address was in denver. I looked up at the address bar and it said something like blah-blah-et-ct. I deleted that and put -mt and it worked! Apparently the wifi & my ip address weren't talking to each other so i helped them out a bit.
Hope this helps.
P.s. i've also been watching on an acer chromebook and it's fantastic! My iphone, regular acer netbook, and other tablets just want to konk out.

Thanks Mr. Mayor,

Since my last post I have been able to watch the live streams on my computer and once I identified my cable provider it has worked like a charm. No commentary, which may be a good thing. My only other complaint is that today is the first day of Laser men's coverage, which is what I want to see the most. One Laser race then three 49er women's races. What is up with that? I am hoping for some more Laser coverage before it is over.

I'm in Europe and I believe we're getting the same feed all over the world.
Well, the tv stations are all getting the same feed from OBS, but that just means we get the same camera angles. You could still try the masking ip trick. It'd be neat to watch bbc's coverage online. I had to do that for 2012 so i could watch the closing ceremonies when it really was live, not when nbc deemed it to be live. I don't mean their 5 second delay either. I had called my gf in london, asked her when it started local time and watched it online, live and real-time, then turned the tv on to see how much of a buffering delay there was and discovered nbc lied to the whole usa as in reality it began well over an hour before their broadcast!

Look
Thanks Mr. Mayor,

Since my last post I have been able to watch the live streams on my computer and once I identified my cable provider it has worked like a charm. No commentary, which may be a good thing. My only other complaint is that today is the first day of Laser men's coverage, which is what I want to see the most. One Laser race then three 49er women's races. What is up with that? I am hoping for some more Laser coverage before it is over.
You and i are on the same boat, as are most fans here on the laser forum, i would say. Read my other posts on my my opinion of no commentary and the reasons why. I love it.
And yeah, today's laser was race 8, i think? Someone said they are not broadcasting all of the races but i think that's just more nbc overlording. They may not be. You can't tell me every waking moment of Olympic events isn't being filmed just for historical archiving purposes if just that. I'm anxious to try masking my ip address again to watch Russia's coverage. Somebody has to have them somewhere. How ironic we've turned to Russia for free & open broadcasts in a fight against the state run media, er uh, i mean nbc.

Look
You can't tell me every waking moment of Olympic events isn't being filmed just for historical archiving purposes if just that. I'm anxious to try masking my ip address again to watch Russia's coverage. Somebody has to have them somewhere. How ironic we've turned to Russia for free & open broadcasts in a fight against the state run media, er uh, i mean nbc.

please if you find out where to watch the other laser races, let me know

somebody somewhere has this streams, hmm what about brazil local networks:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: gotta look, ill report back if i find something out.

Come on guys, don't fool yourself. Sure there's a ton of recorded footage that hasn't been shown, but how do you expect to find it on some faraway broadcasting corporation's website? "Somebody has to have them somewhere" isn't very solid evidence. We all get the same live feed everywhere and that's it for now. The rest will likely show up on World Sailing TV/WS Youtube channel sooner or later after the games. (I think I'll ask about it from someone who probably knows.)

And what do time lags (intentional or not, long or short) have to do with this? I noticed a 30-second difference between the 2D tracker and the TV picture today, during the last 49erFX race. So what?

But anyway, even if the Laser classes were "victims" of the live TV scheduling, didn't that one race look totally great today? Especially the helicopter shots - you rarely see the action from that angle.

Last edited:
Situation normal here. Whilst we might(?) be able to stream the coverage, nothing is being shown by the host broadcaster on any of their 3 Olympic channels in Australia. If we're really lucky they might show the medal races where we stand a chance of a medal. Until the last Olympics, the best we ever saw was the start and finish of several races a day, so maybe 2 minutes a day. Even for the Sydney Olympics, they only showed the start and finish of the races where we won 2 gold medals, part of the medal ceremony and a few interviews with the sailors.

Thanks for the reality check Alan. That's how it used to be over here, too, until 2012. As Finland got two sailing medals from London (and could realistically have gotten two more), everybody including the media realized that this is actually our most successful sport. As a result, Yleisradio (our national broadcasting corporation, owned by taxpayers like me :D) is now showing every available second of sailing, including the postponements... that's hours of static footage of the Sugarloaf!

(I think I'll ask about it from someone who probably knows.)
Answer (from Craig Leweck/WS live blog):
1) The Olympic broadcaster in your region controls the footage. It is their decision what they choose to include in their Olympic coverage.
2) All racing is recorded, but only two courses - Escola Naval and Pao da Acucar - show live coverage.
3) No sport can control its broadcast.

Olympic Broadcasting Services (OBS) is an agency of the International Olympic Committee, established in 2001 to be responsible for providing the images of the Olympic Games to the rights-holding broadcasters, maintaining the standards of Olympic broadcasting between one edition and the next one.

So the stuff is behind the IOC. Does someone want to ask them? :rolleyes:

:eek: Less than two hours to go.

Women's standings before the medal race:

1. Marit Bouwmeester 47 points
2. Anne-Marie Rindom 55
3. Annalise Murphy 57
4. Evi Van Acker 66
5. Tuula Tenkanen 68.6
6. Gintarė Scheidt 82
7. Josefin Olsson 84
8. Alison Young 91
9. Ashley Stoddart 101
10. Paige Railey 109

Bouwmeester can't fall from the podium.
Rindom and Murphy can take gold if Bouwmeester finishes far enough behind.
Van Acker and Tenkanen can take silver if Rindom and Murphy finish far enough behind.
No one else can take medals.
It's a 3-way race with two distractors.

Men's standings:

1. Tonči Stipanović 57
2. Tom Burton 67
3. Sam Meech 77
4. Jean-Baptiste Bernaz 86
5. Robert Scheidt 87
6. Nick Thompson 87
7. Pavlos Kontides 92
8. Juan Ignacio Maegli 103
9. Julio Alsogaray 107
10. Rutger van Schaardenburg 108

Stipanović takes either gold or silver.
Burton can take gold if Stipanović finishes far enough behind.
Meech can take silver if Burton finishes far enough behind.
Bernaz, Scheidt, Thompson and Kontides can take bronze if Meech finishes far enough behind.
Worst-case (even likely) scenario: Stipanović drives Burton to the back of the fleet and Meech takes silver.

(All this provided that no one gets DSQs, OCSs etc, which are very rare in medal races.)

Note to self:

In general, from a sailor's point of view I have always found the "medal races" a joke. The point of a regatta is to have consistent performance over a series of races. Potentially anyone could win an individual race due to a lucky wind shift. The medal races always seemed to me a gimmick to market sailing to television viewers.

However after having actually watched several events this week, I've got a slightly different view. The mark roundings have a certain NASCAR aspect to them, especially in the larger fleets like the Laser. Lots of collisions and near collisions, a distraction from the actual race. It kind of takes away from the elite aspect of the Olympic regatta, making it look more like a Wednesday night beer can race.

Rather than a single medal race, they should run a series of qualifying heats with the fleet broken up into smaller groups. The top sailors from the heat advance to the finals, which are series of races instead of a single race. More competition based on sailing skill, and less destruction derby.

Just random thoughts on a Monday morning.

Men's medal race postponed to tomorrow! The women are going out but not much wind in sight.

Some wind now on the RC boat. Perhaps the women will get to start the Radial medal race.
But there's only 30 minutes left to get this race off today.
Randy S is hopeful; some white caps by now!

Nice crowd on the beach.

Wind now in the twenties; this could be interesting...

(5 min later) Too much wind; racing cancelled for the Radials today.

Gary and Randy: the Laser medal races will be run tomorrow/Tuesday; coverage to start at 12 noon

Last edited:
Both medal races postponed to tomorrow - the men because of not enough wind, the women because of too much of it!

Last edited:
GOLD - Marit Bouwmeester (NED)
SILVER - Annalise Murphy (IRL)
BRONZE - Anne-Marie Rindom (DEN)

Back