Old style rudder installation

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by jamesg, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Wayne

Wayne Member Emeritus

I think what MakerBot could turn out by milling plastic stock would not be sufficiently sturdy. Plastic does not like to be cut away and every corner, even if relieved, would be a weak point.

These folks will cast anything you'd like...

[​IMG]

http://www.porttownsendfoundry.com

However, in this case, you'd probably be better off simply adding a brake-press formed set of heavy gauge stainless steel cheeks to the existing gudgeon.

Attached Files:

2. PBA

PBA Member

It's too bad this was such a short lived and obscure part - it could have been marketed as a "blade saver", and would have benefitted an awful lot of people over the years, if not to this present day.

Yes, LP marketing has been better, but they still should be creating old-fashioned newsletters, etc. to create an ongoing communication line with their past customers.

If I were in their marketing department, I'd also be updating the replacement sail colors every single year, such as to create interest, and to freshen up the product line. And I'm surprised they never licensed their name off to a life vest company, such as to create a specific Sunfish line of life preservers. There appear to be a gazzillion life preserver manufacturers out there, but no real dominant name in the marketplace.

3. Webfoot

Webfoot New Member

MakerBot is molding the plastic using heat. It starts with a coil of ABS plastic line, I believe this is the same type of plastic used in the plastic rudder cheeks. You have to create the part in 3D software first. The neat part is if your first design was not up to strength, you could make changes and not be out more that a few pennies. Would be nice to have a new bow handle for less than a dollar.

4. Wayne

Wayne Member Emeritus

True...

... you didn't like my aftermarket solution :(

That would be nice PR

I hate to say it, but I think if you were in LP's marketing department your job would hinge on catering to what's popular today. Looking at the energy that's given to the Laser, Opti, 420, etc. the stark reality is, Sunfish has fallen way back in the pecking order.

[​IMG]
    I always wanted the Sunfish platform shoes

There was a time Sunfish ruled the roost...

Attached Files:

5. Wayne

Wayne Member Emeritus

Oh right, sorta the poor man's stereo lithography.

[​IMG]

I was looking at hobby machining centers at the same time and got them confused. Sorry 'bout that.

ABS is what you see in computer keyboards, TV cabinets, and dash board faces. Not nearly rugged enough for the torsional resistance needed by rudder cheeks. An educated guess is the rudder cheeks are a high % glass fiber reinforced Nylon or Acetal (aka DuPont Delrin) w/heavy amounts of UV inhibitor added.

Hmmm..., something isn't adding up. :(

MakerBot is getting $10 - $16/lb for their plastic rope.

[​IMG]

A plastic bow handle would likely weigh ~1/4 lb or 250 pennies worth of plastic. (no accounting for programming and set-up time) And, lets not forget the 75,000 pennies for the extrusion machine (kit).

...then there is a constraint - Usable Build Area: 100mm Width x 100mm Depth x 130mm Height or ~ 4" x 4" x 5"

... it does, however, look like a fun way to make your own miniature action figures in any position you desire. :cool:

[​IMG]