old style bailer

tybee

i have a 71 hull with the old style bailer. i'd like to dissect it to ensure its water tight integrity but before i do that, does anyone know where i could obtain the necessary gaskets for it?

If it does not leak, I would recommend you leave it as is - it is very easy to crack the aluminum nut the secures the unit, and replacements are almost impossible to find - a classic case of
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Alan Glos

part of me agrees with the "iffen it ain't broke..." but a quorum is against merely throwing it into the water to see if it sinks. :)

what sort of gaskets would be inside that bailer, are they the same size as the ones for the new style bailer and will the new balls work in the old bailer?

The metal DePersia cockpit bailers had two rubber gaskets about 1/2" wide and about 1/8" thick, One went on the bottom of the hulk and the other went on the inside of the cockpit tub.
I believe the plastic balls are the same size for the metal or newer plastic units.

Alan Glos

part of me agrees with the "iffen it ain't broke..." but a quorum is against merely throwing it into the water to see if it sinks. :)

what sort of gaskets would be inside that bailer, are they the same size as the ones for the new style bailer and will the new balls work in the old bailer?
I doubt your fish would go to the deep end with a leaking bailer. I have sailed my boat with the tub half full of water because of a wave and it kept on ticking. Occasionally though, water leaks into the hull via the bailer hole/slot. To fix that, one has to remove the bailer.

I doubt your fish would go to the deep end with a leaking bailer. I have sailed my boat with the tub half full of water because of a wave and it kept on ticking. Occasionally though, water leaks into the hull via the bailer hole/slot. To fix that, one has to remove the bailer.

yeah, you're probably correct but i'd hate to have the only submarine with a sail.

so sail it a bit, bring it ashore, check for water in the hull. i reckon i'll know if it floods the tub. perhaps i need to reconsider that inspection port i've been putting off.

The metal DePersia cockpit bailers had two rubber gaskets about 1/2" wide and about 1/8" thick, One went on the bottom of the hulk and the other went on the inside of the cockpit tub.

I believe the plastic balls are the same size for the metal or newer plastic units.

Alan Glos

thanks for the data and i see you have the appropriate devices to replace what i have if i manage to break it if it leaks and i need to dissect it.

thanks to both of you.

i'll report back...if i survive. :)

Ill start by saying that I second Alan's opinion, don't use a solution to go looking for a problem. Another precaution though, if you're concerned is to float test it by the shore for 10 minutes. Then pull it out, open the starboard side deck drain, turn It on its side and see if water comes out. if is is leaking into the hull you might hear sloshing. You'll see water that gets into the cockpit right away but what you may not see is water that gets past the first gasket and into a compromised seam between hull and cockpit (see photo). In the photo of the bailer thru hole, you can see the seam between the hull and the deck, it shouldn't be that obvious. I rebonded with epoxy. If that happens you were lucky enough to have two things fail on the boat, bonus! That water will go into the hull. You can sail for a long time with this water inside the hull, may not even notice until you go to pull the boat out and it takes 2-4 people to lift it. Luckily the water drains out pretty well there also.
Which gives me another thought, on land plug up the bailer like you're going sailing, pour a little water inside the cockpit and see if water runs OUT of the boat around the bailer.

My friend Webb once told me "a boat is best sailed."

Happy sailing!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 55

Back