noob mainsheet questions

ylojelo

I have a '73 sunfish and it is missing the mainsheet block. From advice from a friend, I bought the H241. Does that take the place of pulley-shaped ones also pictured?
13256-1.gif

And then, to install that, I'll need to install an inspection port, right?

thanks

The "standard" block used for a Sunfish is an 019 Harken block mounted with an eye strap and stand up spring. It's thru bolted on the front cockpit lip. No port needed.

It may be too late, but the problem with the H241 is that it can lead to capsizes. This happens when you can't uncleat the sheet quick enough when there is a puff or while you are hiking.

Hey, I just bought the RF56101 (the 55 Orbit) because it was not expensive and got high remarks. So let me understand something. To pull the sheet in, you just pull in. How do you let the sheet out with it?

While the literature lists it as having 20 to 1 holding power that doesn't mean the main sheet is locked. You still have to keep it tight against the pulley surface. As soon as you loosen up the main sheet it will run out the block to the extent you let it.
Don't forget you'll need some kind of eye strap and bolts to thru mount it to the deck surface at the front cockpit lip. Not to mention a hold up spring to keep it upright.

When mounting the block don't forget to put a backing plate or large washers on the screws to prevent them from pulling out under load.

Fred

Be glad you were lucky or at least didn't sail in high winds. When hiked out flat you can't raise your arm high enough to release the mainsheet from the cleat. Not to mention that the sheet can get caught in the cleat when you don't want it to.
Bath time.

So, although I already have the H241, what would be the better choice for the beginner?
A ratchet block carries a learning curve.
I learned to sail with a main sheet cleat. Our family Lido 14 came with a cleat similar to your H241. I didn't know anything different and sailed for 35 years on all kind of boats with main sheets cleated, from the 14' Lido up to a 42' monohull.
I bought a Sunfish last year and replaced the H241 with the Harken Carbo Hexarachet(spelling?) only because I was going to be racing and the rachet block was on the Sunfish racing boats. I hated that rachet block the first day. I couldn't figure out how to haul in all that mainsheet without a cleat. I asked our racing fleet leader and he told me what I was doing wrong. Now I love the hexarachet but I do wish I would install a cleat somewhere, like where that mainsheet hook is mounted, because some times you just need to take your hands off the mainsheet to take care of other business.
Sorry, I don't know which is best for a beginner. I started with a cam cleat and learned immediately how to handle it. I probably would have learned the same with a rachet block. The only time you might run into a problem with the cam cleat is on a close reach or close hauled and really hiking out in high winds. The norm in that condition is you may end up capsized and taking a swim. The same can happen with the rachet block if you are not quick enough.

The Harken ratchet block is best for everyone. You should never cleat the sheet on a Sunfish because winds can change in an instant and you need to react quickly. Consider this: you fall of the boat for whatever reason and the sheet is cleated and sails away from you. Ive seen that happen to a Hobie. Also, if you capsize you need to release the sheet before you right the boat or it might re-capsize or sail away. I think the majority of seasoned sailors will agree to no cleat.

Fred

That is a good point.

Maybe APS will let me return it for credit, even though its been a few months, it still has its original packaging intact. Is the "H2135" the Harken ratchet block? These are the only one's APS lists for the Sunfish.

is this how the one I have is supposed to be installed? I thought it would be flat on the deck. The way pictured, one would have to work to cleat it and if you fell off, hold the mainsheet line would un-cleat it. Is that right?
6420_12.JPG

As stated in earlier responses to you, the Harken 019 is a popular block and it mounts ON THE DECK in the lip of the cockpit just forward of the cockpit. Look under the foward part of the cockpit and you'll see the spot.
Also see the earlier responses to you.

Fred

I didn't feel I was asking the same question again. APS doesn't list a Harken 019, "Harken ratchet block" isn't specific ( so my question was is that the same as the 'H2135' pictured), and 'Harken Carbo Hexaratchet' seems to refer to them all. Having it stated that the 019 is the 'standard' does not mean (to me) best nor good, it just sounds like that's what came with boat originally. I appreciate everyone's input and knowledge, especially on something I know absolutely nothing about (hence 'noob'), I'm just trying to get a clear understanding of what I am looking for.

The H019 is a Harken part number. I found it at aps: http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d264000/e261020.asp
It's one of the "hexaratchet" series of blocks of which there are many.
The Sunfish never came with any mainsheet block, just the hook on the front of the cockpit. The various blocks are add-ons.
The 019 block is mounted on an eye strap on the cockpit lip and a "standup spring" keeps it vertical in use.

Fred

To offer an opposing view, I have the H241 and like it. I use it mainly to cruise around recreationally -- I'm not usually out in heavier air, but if I am, I usually don't cleat the main. I mainly use it on mellow days where I can just cleat and relax. Or if I need to free a hand temporarily to scratch myself or something. Mine is actually mounted on the deck, but I do remember seeing one mounted in place of the hook the cockpit lip like that once.

On a day of fair and moderate winds with the 019 you can put a little quick release loop in the sheet and put it on the hook (assuming it was not removed) if you need to scratch. You can also step on the sheet. But.... when the wind kicks up you have the advantage with the 019 being there. The best rides are when you're flying on a beam reach and then you need the 019 advantage.
I see a win-win with the 019.

Fred

I too have used the H241 for many years with no problem. Used to race in all kinds of conditions and if it was heavy air I just didn't use the cleat portion. To the best of my memory I nev er capsized because of the cleat - other reasons, yes!

Clyde

But when you can't use the cleat portion you have no mechanical advantage for holding the sheet when you most need it.

I promise this will be my last comment. We seem to be beating this to death.
Ultimately, I guess it's sailor's choice.

Fred

Back