No wood backer blocks for deck cleats

Skye

I have two OLD sailboats (6570 and 6575) built in Canada in 1973. These boats have mahagony foils and grab rails. Both boats are built like a tank. But neither boat has the wood blocks molded into the deck for mainsheet cleats!

Both boats have two deck plates. One in the center of the stern deck and the other on one side of the boat aft of the mast. These were used to cut out the water loged foam blocks to replace them with bottles. The forward deck plate is just out of reach of the area I need to install the backer blocks.

Given this limited access, any bright ideas on how to install wood blocks? My thinking is to drill pilot holes in the deck where the screws would go for the cleats. Pass in fishing line and fish them out the deck plate. The lines would then pass through pilot holes in resing coated wood blocks. Then I would pull the blocks through the hull and into position under the deck. Once the resing cured, I would be set to mount the cleats.

Any better ideas?

Not an electrician, but certainly willing to steal ideas from them.

I called a Laser dealer and they recommended "Well Nuts". A rubber grommet device like a Molley bolt. Not sure I like this solution very much.

The other solution is to cut a slot in the deck and drop the block through it. It would be uglier, but it would allow me to remove the foam core and prevent it from getting squashed.

There is very little load (in shear) on the cleat and almost none pulling up. I wouldn't bother with the backer at all, and would just use 3M 5200 on the base of the cleat and on the screws and be done with it.

just use 3M 5200 on the base of the cleat and on the screws and be done with it.

I am not an adhesive kind of guy. I like the idea of being able to take things apart to fix, repair, or modify. But push comes to shove ...

The cleats on most sailors boats are not mounted where the reinforcement blocks are located.

The load is mopstly sheer and screws do fine in sheer.

Mounting small RWO cam cleats with a couple number 10 screws and 3M 5200 under the cleats will hold just fine.

If the cleats wear out someday. good for you!!! You must ahve sailed hundreds of hours.

The cleats can be removes if mounted with 5200. Worst case is you need a sharp single edge razor blade.

And while you are at it. remove every fitting on the boat, twist a knife in the holes to make a small "counter sink" to hold the caulk, and re- bed each one with 5200.

Wallowed out screw holes are much worse than adhesive sealant. ... THose are nearly impossible to repair.

I am not an adhesive kind of guy. I like the idea of being able to take things apart to fix, repair, or modify. But push comes to shove ...

The intent is not to glue the cleats to the deck. The screws will secure the cleats. The 3M 5200 is to stop leaks.

Back