Newbie & Some Questions

jsmith230

Hi all!

First, I wanted to share what a great forum you have here. I have been reading some old posts, and its excellent to see how helpful you are to your fellow sailing enthusiasts! I'm hoping that some of that kindness will be extended to a newbie as well! :)

I am interested in learning about sailing. I live in SE Minnesota - the land of 10,000 lakes. So I figure, despite the short summers, that I'd like to get out on the water and enjoy the beautiful natural scenery.

I am specifically interested in learning on a Sunfish. I work full-time & am also a student, so I don't have a lot of free time to keep up a larger boat. I really just want to get out on the water & have some fun - not looking for a more strenuous, athletic experience (that a Laser would provide). Plus it's also just me: I'm a single guy, so it's likely I'll be out there alone or perhaps with one additional person with me from time to time, so I want a boat I can manage alone. I don't yet have a Sunfish, but I am looking to get a used one for the summer (I see there are a few on the forum here & several on Craigslist that I plan to check out).

Now that I've gotten the background information out of the way, I was hoping the forum audience could help me with some questions:

(1) I've been sailing on a boat a few times, though I'm definitely a beginner. Would you recommend that I take some classes to learn how to sail? Or, instead, read the Sunfish Bible (that so many have raved about) & employ a 'trial and error' method to just get out there and learn on my own.

(2) I've considered classes, but locally here in Minnesota most of the classes are ASA-related and focused more on keelboats at the introductory level. Would you consider that a good way to learn the basics? Or overkill given my intent to sail Sunfish rather than larger craft? (Note - Maybe in time I'll get there, but that's not my end goal currently)

(3) If classes aren't necessary but some training/coaching is recommended, do you have any contacts in SE Minnesota that I could contact to work with to learn the basics of sailing (ideally on a Sunfish)? I'm willing to pay for the time, of course, but I would appreciate any help/direction anyone could provide.

Thank you again in advance for your help!

jsmith230
[email protected]

congrats on jumping in to sailing. i moved back east recently after a few great years in the Minneapolis area. throw a rock and you'll hit a lake, the majority of which are used by active sailing fleets. I own and raced Lasers and was lucky to get a few rides on J-24's and even luckier to drive a Scow a few times.

The lake sailing in MN is great and the local fleets are very welcoming. if your local fleet sails sunfish, try to get out with somebody. Sailing on a keelboat will give you experience but nothing beats steering your own boat to gain knowledge. i'm sure that your local lake or sailing community offers lessons. If not, it would definitely pay to travel to one that does.

there is a pretty simple pamphlet called "learn to sail in 3 days" that is specific to Sunfish. you can find it here: http://www.avonsailboats.com/learn-to-sail.html

there are also some good simple books that might be just as much help for basic intro to sailing stuff as the Sunfish Bible. here are 2 that I have and like - see if your library has a copy:

Start Sailing Right [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Start-Sailing-Right-National-Instruction/dp/1882502485/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b"]Start Sailing Right[/ame] (written by Derrick Fries [ame="http://www.sailingexpert.com/"]Derrick Fries[/ame])
Let's Go Sailing [ame="http://www.amazon.com/lets-go-sailing-Peter-Isler/dp/068812545X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1305764900&sr=8-3"]Let's Go Sailing[/ame]

(weird amazon links showed up... I added the book titles)

if you think you've got the ideas/principles down, I'd just start on a day with light to moderate winds and get a feel for how the boat moves. with only the only line (mainsheet) and the tiller, it's pretty simple to control the boat.

I think it is much harder to read the wind direction, and that will just come with practice.

cheers,
tag

Back