newbie-just found this woody. maybe 50ish

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by rob herschel, Nov 11, 2009.

1. rob herschel

rob herschel New Member

more

Attached Files:

2. Porpoise2

Porpoise2 New Member

It is in remarkably good condition and looks like a "northern" boat fer shure.

I'd be tempted to varnish the deck (only) and perhaps paint a 1-inch border over the nail heads. (Or leave the copper showing: I think they'd look cool). :cool:

3. rob herschel

rob herschel New Member

i was thinking the same thing. i love the varnished look and might even leave the sides varnished. although a white hull with a varnished deck is great also.

4. Wayne

Wayne Member Emeritus

That resin paper appears to have been a blessing in disguise. What great grain patterns..., lousy for a solid, but a great plywood veneer..., but no matter in the foot well. That does lend itself to some finish possibilities. The glass-like finish seen on vintage Chris-craft, strip kayaks, and cedar canoes is the first thing that comes to my mind. Might be worth a look into WEST system or MAS transparent epoxy.

I’ve seen symbols like the one pictured. Not the actual symbol, but a marking under a finish. It could be a builder’s mark. More common in factory assembly, but some home builders leave their “mark” too. I trust sanding would have removed any marks from the lumber people so the question of origin of construction looms up once more.

5. rob herschel

rob herschel New Member

i'm not a big fan of epoxy coating, traditional varnish can be easily refinished and most of todays mahogony boats are kept covered or indoors. the symbol looks like a stamp to me, it is too perfect to have been hand drawn. it would be nice to find out it was from the factory and a factory mark. i can't seem to make out if it's letters or just a symbol.

6. rob herschel

rob herschel New Member

i've restored a number of old woodies, i am always in awe of the building technics and the look of the old boats. i like to sit in the moan'n chair and just look at it.

7. Porpoise2

Porpoise2 New Member

The original splash guard will make hiking-out uncomfortable. :(

Since it's a "one-off", I'd replace it with the splash guard of today's design and use a dark mahogany wood for contrast. If it's too much work to fill (and match) the holes left by the hardware, I'd leave that base in place and add the newer guard in front of it.

[​IMG]

How much does it weigh? I'll bet it's much lighter than today's standard in fiberglass.

8. rob herschel

rob herschel New Member

it looks like the splash rail cleat is fastened from the underside. i am thinking of preserving the original guard but installing a modified guard in the original location that tapers down dramatically toward the back or does not reach all the way around. i like the look of the newer guard but would like to maintain the original look to some extent. the hull seems very light, have not weighed it yet. i'm assuming there is no foam inside.

9. Wayne

Wayne Member Emeritus

Published weight, 135# Interestingly, later boats like the one I pictured listed at 149#

Right, there is no foam since wood floats.

10. rob herschel

rob herschel New Member

pulled the old keel and installed new one today.