New to sailing, help?

guitarphotoman

Hi everyone, I grew up on the ocean boating but never sailed for some reason. I am looking at purchasing a Newport Surprise and I want to run it up and down the james here and there and camp a long it. anyways this is were I am not sure on things.

The Max Draft with the Center board down is 3'10" . can the center board be retracted from inside the boat before I launch it and while I am in the water? I would like to to run up on shore lines from time to time and Im wondering if I can bring the sails down and raise the center board to allow for me to run up on shore.

can a small sail boat be launched like a regular boat? basically I need to know how I can function this boat in the water, if the boat must be lauched with the C.B. down or cannot be retracted to bring it into shore then I may have some hard times.

anyways any help would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

Josh: This mostly depends on the type of water that you plan to sail on. I usually sail in lakes and paddle out to catch the wind. As soon as I reach enough dept for the center board, I lower it for stability. As for returning to shore, the same would apply.

Josh: This mostly depends on the type of water that you plan to sail on. I usually sail in lakes and paddle out to catch the wind. As soon as I reach enough dept for the center board, I lower it for stability. As for returning to shore, the same would apply.

thanks so much, thats the main thing I was wondering. the only places I can really launch this boat is on boat ramps or shorelines. I will mainly be using this boat on rivers with deep channels mainly the james river here on the east coast and a few lakes around here in VA. I will also be taking the boat to the sound and maybe a little ways out in the ocean on calm days.

I just wanted to make sure I could lower and raise the centerboard to go back and forth and sounds like I can from what you said. so thats great!

it has been really hard finding anything about sailboats here in VA, no one sales them. I would like to take a class on this . maybe the norfolk area will have a few.

Back