New to sailing - Advice needed

Discussion in 'Sailing Talk' started by Captain_HX, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Captain_HX

Captain_HX New Member

Hi all

I will start with a bit of an introduction and then get down to some newbie questions :)

I've been working at sea professionally for the past 10 yeas. I served as First Officer on Crude Oil Carriers and recently I got a job on harbour tugs as a TugMaster on Voith Water Tractors.

I got into sailing during my collage years when I attended a sailing course for yachts but I haven't sailed a lot since then.

Last month I took up a laser sailing class and got fully addicted to it. Now I'm looking into taking the next step and getting my own boat.

So here are the questions I have for you

1. Do you suggest I get a new boat or used one?
    2. What to look for when buying a used boat?
    3. Where do you store your boats? Do you keep them at home and take them out when you need them or do you keep them at a club?
    4. I was offered a barely used laser pico for a good price. How close is pico sailing to laser sailing? Will I be happy with a pico? I don't have plans for racing.
    5. How do you move your boat on the road? Do you suggest the use of a trolley or to carry it on top of my car? And where do you secure the mast?

I will be back with more questions shortly :)

Nice to meet you all

Regards
    Elias

2. OldNJLaser

OldNJLaser Member

Welcome Elias,
    Hopefully this helps you a little.

Only if you have the expendable income. A Laser will retain a good bit of it's value as long as the boat is in tip-top shape. If your un-sure, buy a well looked for used boat. Back when I bought my Laser I was able to save over $1500 by buying a boat 2 years old and in excellent shape.

Hopefully someone can explain this better then I can.

I left mine at the yacht club which I sailed. They do sell pull behind trailers.

Can you have a test sail on the Pico? I'd go Laser.

You can car top it, although I never have. They sell extensions that will widen the roof rack, and then you can strap the mast and boom to it, next to the boat.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Captain_HX

Captain_HX New Member

Havent sailed anything but a laser yet but I will try to test sail the pico

Thanks for our advise
    Was very helpfull

Elias

4. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

A Pico is more of a youth boat. It compares poorly to a Laser, IMHO. I can't recommend it, having sailed one on vacation (Club Sunsail).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Captain_HX

Captain_HX New Member

It actually looks like a youth boat :)

Thanks for your reply

Elias