New to lasers

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by sirena, May 28, 2017.

1. sirena

sirena New Member

Ok i. kinda new to lasers, i used them for the first time last year in Greece. So this year i went out and brought one. I live inland in Spain by the Ebro a huge expanse of water and when the wind blows here it blows and gets stronger as the day goes on. I have alot of questions some i have researched online others im at lost with. Anyway, why does the traveller block get caught on the tiller extension when im tacking, its really annoying...

2. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

The tiller extension shouldn't be anywhere near the traveler blocks when tacking... or at any other time either. It should point forward and its outer end should be close to the ratchet block in the middle of a tack.

How long are your tiller and extension?

3. sirena

sirena New Member

\sorry my mistake ...not the tiller extension...the tiller

4. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

In that case, it's probably that you're not rolling the boat enough, and/or not letting enough sheet out in the middle of the tack. If the wind is very light, you can also loosen the traveller line a bit (a centimetre is already a lot).

You might also want to check your tiller chafe plate (or roller) if there's something that catches the block.

5. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Basics first, make sure the tiller runs through the traveler properly. I'm guessing this is not the issue, as you probably wouldn't be able to tack at all.

[​IMG]

Even with the proper setup, the traveler blocks will still catch on the tiller depending on how much tension you have in the traveler. Racers like to keep it tight when sailing upwind for proper sail trim. If you aren't racing, maybe try easing the traveler some. You may not be able to point as high.

A flat carbon fiber tiller like the one in the photo helps, too. However, they can be pricey.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. sirena

sirena New Member

What is a tiller chafe plate...

7. inlandfreddy

inlandfreddy Member

It is the thin piece of metal shielding the tiller (on the picture) from wear and reducing the friction between the tiller, the traveler and the blocks. This is a tight spot on the laser, but the blocks will get caught less when you make more decisive tacks.

8. Lasersailor166131

Lasersailor166131 New Member

This may sound stupid but i would first of all check that the tiller is under the traveler as shown in the photo above

9. Int. Sailing Academy

Int. Sailing Academy Member

Is your tiller a cylinder or a flat carbon fiber one? The older or aluminum style tube tillers are more of an obstacle than the flat tillers.

10. Tpink

Tpink New Member

As Lali said, if you're not racing competitively, then the traveler doesn't need to be super tight. before you launch just set the trav tension so that the block just 'clicks' the tiller with a couple pounds of upward pull on the sheet as you roll it past the tiller.
    As your tacks get better and more forceful you can tighten the trav gradually.

11. Rebecca8

Rebecca8 New Member

Have you fixed your issue´╝č

12. CoachK

CoachK Member

1. Your tiller needs to run under the aft part of the traveler line.
    2. Your traveller line may be to tight. It should have just enough tension so that the blocks run over it (when gybing or tacking) but don't get stuck on your tiller.