new sail for old sunfish

matt gerry

we wanted to buy a new sail for our old sunfish and were wondering where the best place or website to get that sail in the southeastern U.S. would be. thanks

Thanks for the reply.

My friend and I are new to sailing. My friend has had an old sailboat in his backyard (a sunfish mini) for quite some time and we have recently decided to fix it up. The boat needs some repair but there is nothing on the boat that doesn't look fixable. The gel coat is cracked, the sail is a bit worn, and there are a few nicks and scratches on the boat. We would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell us the proper methods for fixing these problems. I have been told that some type of body filler will repair the nicks in the hull. If so what is a good filler to use? I am somewhat of a novice at this so any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Matt,
You are going to have to figure out wether you have a Sunfish or MiniFish or what, the sails are not the same. Yahoo Groups Sunfish Sailor has a file on the Mini that you may want to check out. A SF is 13'10" long and the Mini is about 12'. The booms on the SF are equal in length and I believe the Mini are not (I am not sure). Check SF Sailor.

Do not use automotive type body filler, it will absorb water and come off. Many people use Marine-Tex with good results, I have. Jakob, in the post titled "Bottom Paint Recomendations" used formula 27 from West Marine. Tips and Tricks on the SF Class page has an article on Gel coat repair, Bishops FAQs also has some answers. Read some of the other posts here and on the SF Sailor for more info.

Back