(New Rigging) Cunningham quick release??

macwas16

I was just wondering, if on the new rigging cunningham, you could add a quick release fitting. It just seems like a pain everyday to have to put the cunningham line through the eyelet then tie it to the block and at the end of the day having to untie it...it takes a while to undo that knot when it's under stress all day. Anybody have experience with this. Maybe I should tie a different know, right now I just do a couple of half hitches.

Put a loop splice in the end of your primary line (the one that goes through the sail grommet).

Put the line through the sail, then though the loop onthe top of the block and then pass the bottom of the block through the splice loop. This will form a lark's head type knot on the block.

To tie the secondary line to the block's becket, pass the line throught the becket, tie an overhand knot in the end and then do a half hitch. The overhand knot acts as a stopper on the half hitch.

Gee time is precious these days isn't it ? What can we do to save 2 minutes ? But then if it means 2 extra minutes on the water .... (-;

I don't mind tying the 2 bowlines to rig up the Cunningham each time. But what do you do about the outhaul ? I leave mine all set up and attached to the boom so that after attaching the boom and stepping the mast, I pass the end through the blocks and deck cleat, but then have to tie the "handle" in the end. Anyone got any shortcut tricks here ?

I don't understand Will's explanation, if you already have the purchase in the secondary rigged, then you can't loop the upper block unless you have the lower block disconnected from the vang..

I have heard of people using a small shackle or wichard snap hook at the end of the cunningham primary to attach to the upper block - don't know if that's legal or not.... It's only slightly faster then tieing a knot....

Back