New mainsheet blocks?

Discussion in 'Laser Class Politics' started by SFBayLaser, Jan 21, 2008.

1. fracisco

fracisco New Member

Sounds like a good idea. Use a small, wire block for the traveler line, and the 29mm block for the mainsheet while we're at it, too. I like the approach of an aft boom block without a becket, too.

2. SFBayLaser

SFBayLaser Member

hmm... I didn't think people used "ridiculous" amounts of vang until they were sheeting out... at that point, does the size of the traveller blocks matter anymore?

3. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

Dang.....You saw through my scam. But it got us an through entire new page.

I was just trying to spice up the discussion a bit..

4. Deimos

Deimos Member

I've not done it before but I would start trying a hacksaw, angle grinder or similar to the block.

Ian

5. bel120343

bel120343 New Member

i had rivets coming off a boom from a year old (european) now i drill the rivets out when i buy them and put small bolts in them, everlasting and simple to change the blocks

6. glasky

glasky Member

If you want to change the mainheet arrangement why not allow it to be dead-ended at the traveller so it is 1:1 ? (would give much more direct feel and save lots of sheet recovery at the bottom mark, and could be attached to a simple SS ring or very low profile single traveller block to let you sheet even closer to the deck)

Frankly some relief on the cost of new race competitive sails should be considered as a far higher priority by members/owners - currently if you need a new sail the Rooster 8.1 with extension is just about as cheap as Intensity training sails and both are nearly half the price of regular Laser sails. There is also up to AUD $200.00 difference between new North and Hyde Laser sails in OZ and while a new sail only costs around 12.5% of a brand new boat it can represent up to 50% of the value of many club racing boats and two to three times annual club membership etc..

7. Ross B

Ross B Guest

well this topic got big and died quickly

any chance of pics Tracy?

8. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

Here's a pic of Tracy>>>

[​IMG]

I can't tell if he is testing the new blocks or not

9. Ross B

Ross B Guest

of the blocks.....

10. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

He's got a million of them, Ross.

11. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

Well if he does, I hope he gives them away. Even if they break more often than the old blocks, Tracy will never use up a million.
    He would have to spend his entire sailing budget on a storage shed. You know those don't come cheap in San Francisco.

And..If we get new long lasting Blocks. Will Blockbuster Video no longer offer sponsorship for our regattas??

And. If we get really long lasting blocks will our quarterbacks have more time to pass??

12. Ross B

Ross B Guest

pics of the blocks?

then why doesent he post them?

13. Deimos

Deimos Member

I don't think that is a European boom either.

Ian

14. Merrily

Gouv has a million jokes.

15. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

Back on the blocks...
    It seems the following issues ( just my list. Please!! Add your items I left out), have been raised and I believe ought to be brought to the World Coincil meeting as "issues raised by the sailors."

1. The boom block ought to be removable without drilling out rivets and re-riveting the boom bale.
    2. Consideration should be given to use of "off the shelf" blocks.
    3. Revisiting the entire design of the mainsheet system could be welcomed if the resulting benefits are adequate to justify such radicalism.
    4. Durability must match or exceed the old blocks.
    5. The new blocks should not cause new and different damages to the deck.
    6. The sailors would like to see actual samples so more informed discussion can be held.
    7. If the ILCA and regional associations are being given the "mandate" to enforce compliance for one supplier, the class should also receive royalties from each block to fund the education and enforcement.
    8. Modernizing the boat to the available quality level and durability affordably attainable in this century is recognized as necessary for the survival of the game of Lasering.

What else should we send our representative to tell the World Council. Is there any of the above you would not like Tracy to tell the World Council when we fund his trip to the next meeting of that group?

Off subject:

It's your money and your association. We elect representatives who really DO want to hear about your concerns. Be careful as the "leaders" might ask you to spend time and money to help do those things you advocate but...Unless you speak up. Nobody else will know what you want!!!
    Tracy can do a lot but he damn sure can't read minds and probably doesn't want to know what is in your head anyway...especially you Ross!!!

JOkes are funny. I may have a million things to say but to refer to many of those as jokes would be both overly flattering and inaccurate.

16. dougreynolds10

dougreynolds10 Member

I am all for new blocks but only if they are not custom to the laser. I believe we should all be using the same blocks because it is a one design. If they were to change them there should be no reason that the laser has to be one of the only one designs with its own specifically engineered blocks while there are blocks on the current market that can do the job fine. The only real reason PSE is pushing the blocks is because the blocks are one of the few things that are not builder supplied and therefore one of the few things that PSE isn't taking our money out of our pockets on. The old blocks aren't the best but i don't see why harken carbo is not good enough for a laser. I'm all for change in this class but the blocks were the last thing on my mind. I guess PSE is not for making us a better and stronger class but they are for squeezing every penny they can out of us. Soon there well be builder supplied hiking straps will all have to used specially designed for the laser and builder supplied and will all be paying $70 for $40 sietech hiking strap and $40 will go to Sietech and $30 will go to PSE.

17. Merrily

Well, I said you made a joke. I didn't say it was funny. ;)

Didn't Tracy say that pix of the blocks wouldn't tell you much?

18. Deimos

Deimos Member

Provided that the "review" does not grow and cause everything to stall because additional aspects are being considered. I expect there are always many aspects and it can become a difficult balance as to how broad the changes should be in relation to getting something relatively quick and easy done. Whilst I agree "if you are going to do something then do it right", but at the same time, don't delay when a change can be considered in isolation.

Ian

19. Chris123

Chris123 New Member

I strongly oppose and will vote against the gratuitous introduction of custom parts.

How about:
    "Boom end block, lower aft mainsheet block, and traveler block may be single blocks of any size and design, with or without snaps, swivels, and other fittings, provided that when all slack is pulled out of the mainsheet, the distance between the bottom of the boom and the top of the traveler line is at least x inches."

20. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

That would mean having to measure to ensure legality. That's a step backwords from where we are today. As prev mentioned you want to be able to look at someone's blocks and know that they are legal..