New Laser daggerboard brake

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by jeffers, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Clive Humphris

Clive Humphris ILCA Technical

I have checked with Jean-Luc Michon and he agrees that rule 26 (a) under REPAIRS AND MAINTENANCE can be interpreted as allowing this. The key sentence (partial) is:- "Repairs to fixings may be carried out without violation of these rules provided such repairs are made in such a way that the essential shape, characteristics or function of the original are not affected".

Clive

2. flaserlover

flaserlover Member

do u still have to use the bunjee to tie it in?
    does it work better than the bunjee?

3. Eric_R

Eric_R D10 Secretary

You need the bungee, it's a class rule.

4. flaserlover

flaserlover Member

really?!!! i didnt know that

5. Eric Schwing

Eric Schwing 64700

I think the problem is that the bungee and the daggerboard brake are mutually exclusive. The bungee pulls the board away from the brake. I think the bungee is an afterthought and that Kirby/Bruce expected the brake to work by itself. Like everything else!
    Next time out I'm going to try passing the bungee astern and under the hiking strap. I hope that will hold the board against the brake and keep it from rising that maddening few inches. Has anyone tried this?

6. Eric_R

Eric_R D10 Secretary

Illegal.

http://www.laserinternational.org/rules/classrules/partthree/centreboard

6. A tie line or shock cord shall be attached to the small hole in the upper forward corner of the centreboard, and any of the bow eye, the cunningham fairlead, the “Builder Supplied” deck block fitting and the mast to prevent loss of the centreboard in event of a capsize. The tie line or shock cord may be looped around the bow, but shall not be attached to the gunwale. Attachment can be by knots or loops in the shock cord, and/or tie lines, shackles, clips, hooks or eyes.

7. Eric Schwing

Eric Schwing 64700

I don't read the rule as prohibiting what I described as long as the required "safety line' is attached as the rule describes, but ....

8. Eric Schwing

Eric Schwing 64700

Say, for example, passing the bungee under the hiking strap, back through the board eye, and then forward to one of the 'approved' locations? A single line forward, doubled going astern?

9. Eric_R

Eric_R D10 Secretary

If it's not mentioned, it's illegal.

10. singletrack_mind

singletrack_mind New Member

Re: New Laser daggerboard brake-worn trunk?

OK, so I fit the new brake, encountered the issue where the old holes don't seem to allow the brake to move forward far enough to be functional, and thus came to read this thread. I noticed that the forward edge of my centerboard trunk shows significant wear, and see several references to "lining" the front of the slot with something. Could someone elaborate on this? I think I aught to consider this before re-positioning the brake.

Thanks!

11. Eric_R

Eric_R D10 Secretary

One layer of any material of maximum 2mm
    thickness and of a maximum size of 30mm x
    30mm may be applied at the top front corner of
    the centreboard case.

12. singletrack_mind

singletrack_mind New Member

What are commonly used materials? I'm thinking about some black sheet rubber I have lying around, if I can glue it on successfully.

13. Eric_R

Eric_R D10 Secretary

I've seen velcro used, which worked quite well.