New Foils

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Matt, Jun 21, 2010.

1. torrid

torrid Just sailing

There are what, a few dozen boats at the Olympics? I could see producing these in advance and stockpiling them for several months. It happens only every four years, and the Olympic organizing committe can pay for the cost of storing them.

But 150 boats every year? Paying to store those just doesn't seem economically viable.

2. AlanD

AlanD Former ISAF Laser Measurer

I can only speak about PSA, they have the storage space on site for I guess 500-600 boats. The production facility uses probably 20% of the sites undercover area and the uncovered area is equal to the space that is covered. I have no idea why the facility is so big, but they've been their a long time and the area is well away from Sydney and it's property market.

For PSA the cost of having a stock pile of boats is not in the storage, but the cost material consumed in their production, but I think the ILCA (or IOC) contribute to that.

3. LASERNUT

LASERNUT Member

I was support for Sailorchick at the radial worlds this year and there was A LOT of foils snapping by the stop set. There was a good 4-5 foils being returned every day.