New Class Website: Suggestions Please.

Discussion in 'Laser Class Politics' started by Bradley, Dec 13, 2005.

1. sailor327

sailor327 New Member

definatly a good idea ^^^^

2. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

They already are online.

3. jon

jon Member

Make a promenent link with information about the NA email list and how to use it.

4. Colinkites2000

Colinkites2000 Member

Every Useful Up to Date Laser Article written in Sailing World, The Laser Sailor etc.

5. rock steady

rock steady New Member

Where are the Laser Sailor articles on-line? Thanks.

6. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

7. rock steady

rock steady New Member

Tops! Thanks Merrily.

8. Bradley

Bradley Administrator Staff Member

Your Exclusive TLF status update:

We have made a lot of progress with the new class website. We are almost set on the design. I have to give props to Tracy Usher (SFBayLaser) for all his hard work. Currently, the CSS is being cleaned up, final tweaks are being fixed, and we are preparing to start entering all the information (a lot is already in, but there is still more to go) into the site database. There will be a preview for District Secretaries in the next week or so followed by a public beta. Look for an announcement here on TLF for the public beta and how to access it.

Also, you can expect to still find the link to the forum on the new site plus a list of the latest threads. More details on this are coming soon.

Finally, If the IP address is annoying you, don't worry! Once the new site is online every page will be accessed using http://www.laser.org/pagename.php or http://laser.org/pagename.php. There will not be different pages depending on whether you typed in www or not and all pages will show laser.org in the address bar.

Regards,

9. OliLaser

OliLaser Guest

A race calender for all districts would be nice, but, with a kick. Every regatta could have a spot were you can see whos going to be at the regatta by e-mailing your name to a list. That way if your trying to decide what reggatta to go to.

10. MScott

MScott Member

My main suggestion: get it up and running, like yesterday.

The racing schedule doesn't even include this year's midwinters unless you look at the major regatta schedule.

Personally I am on the verge of being offended that my class dues can't produce a website at least as good as other classes with similar memberships.

11. sailor327

sailor327 New Member

Easy does it they are trying to get it up. And midwinters isnt on the regular regatta page because no one posted it and right now it is temporarily disabled.

12. MScott

MScott Member

thats my point. its disabled and if memory serves me correctly, it has been for some time.

to me, personally, that is unacceptable for an olympic class with major events year round. I am surprised that everyone puts up with it.

I know its not easy and maybe I'm being to hard on the people that do the work, but I don't think websites should take that long to get going.

leaving it down for an extended period of time is a disservice to the membership that pays for it.

13. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

MScott is voicing a concern about which I have personally received a bunch of emails and phone calls and about which I have already privately voiced my concerns to the Leadreship.
    You may also note, I made the same suggestion as MScott in one of the earliest postings on this thread.

Just to make things perfectly clear: I AM NOT CRITICIZING ANY OF THE VOLUNTEERS WHO ARE WORKING FOR FREE.

Just launch the site as is.

Run both sites for a while. Run one at http://www.laser.org and the other at http://laser.org

SHUTTING DOWN SERVICES IS UNACCEPTABLE!!!

There is not a reason in the world for shutting down the old site for a month while developing the new site.

All websites must be "works in progress." Waiting for perfection is about as wrong as sailing to the layline on your first tack.

This is a critical time of year. People all over the world are scheduling regattas and vacation time. We absolutely cannot go for a single day without our scheduling website in service and here we are at this very most critical time of the year with not a damn thing!

Let's see, How could you do the most possible damage to a sailing class in North America. Here are two really brutal things you might try.
    1. Shut down the website
    2. Hang onto newsletters for three months after gathering the materials so they are outdated when they finally arrive.

Note to enthusiastic young sailors: The NA Class is willing to pay about $1000 per week plus expesnes to manage our North American Operations. Are any of you interested enough in that position to start begging us to consider hiring you? What could you do for us?

14. MScott

MScott Member

I would like to emphasize that I too have no complaints to anyone volunteering their time and energy to the cause for free. I don't intend to appear angry I am just very concerned and want to stay on top of the racing schedule so that I can plan ahead!

What a tough position to fill! Especially with cantankerous members like me out there!

15. Bradley

Ladies and Gentlemen, I now present you a special preview version of the new ILCA-NA class website that will be going live in a matter of days. Not all content areas have been filled in, but your class is working hard to get all the data filled in asap.

Please post your comments, suggestions, and general ramblings in this thread.

The address is http://beta.laserforum.org.

16. jon

jon Member

Why does it have Google Advertising?

17. Bradley

The class is trying to make some small money off the website. Google Ads to start, and possibly direct ad sales down the line.

18. jon

jon Member

That's kind of what I figured and as long as it doesn't take over the page or anything.

19. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

Nice job so far.

IMHO, the second FAQ title is a little unprofessional.

20. sailor327

sailor327 New Member

i think it is great keep up the good work