New boat! Review/ first impressions

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by sk8ingsailor, Dec 3, 2007.

1. sk8ingsailor

sk8ingsailor Member

so I just picked up my new boat. 191968. Hull is insane, and if you tell jordan (vanguard rep) you want one, He will hand pick one for you. It did include a european bottom section, but still a american top section. Ill get pics in the day.

Moderator's note: In a private conversation with sk8ingsailor, I learned that it was an exaggeration to say that he got a hand-picked boat. Sk8 wants to amend his statement to: "I got service so good that it felt like I got a hand-picked boat." The boats are as identical as is possible, after all.
    Best,
    Merrily

2. dougreynolds10

dougreynolds10 Member

its supposed to be one design what makes your hull more insane then mine?

3. sk8ingsailor

sk8ingsailor Member

Most of the new hulls have minor imperfections around the centerboard trunk. The new ones do not.

One another note, The sail and rudder were stolen (we think) out of my van where we were unloading. If you see a Rudder still in box or a Radial sail with a number of 191968 on it, please contact me. Thanks.

4. sk8ingsailor

sk8ingsailor Member

Please ignore last part. Called the place where I got it, and its there.

5. Reon

Reon New Member

:eek: phew... good luck with boat...

6. LaserBen

LaserBen New Member

New boat! Lucky you! What colour is it?... ;)

7. sk8ingsailor

sk8ingsailor Member

All white. its Insane! Looks almost silver in the right light.

8. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

??? Please explain.

9. sk8ingsailor

sk8ingsailor Member

atleast at my sailmakers, all the 06 or 07 lasers had minor imperfections along the daggerboard. This was caused by pulling them from the mold to quickly. They seemed to have fixed this.

10. lasersailor184544

lasersailor184544 Member

Is the European spar you got black? I'm going to also be pickin' up my '08 from Hedlund in Febuary

11. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Best I can tell, that's the only color they intend to make this year. Anyone know if this will change in the future?

12. TheBoathouse

TheBoathouse New Member

Standard colors this year are white hulls with light grey decks....The brits are not really into colored race boats.....

13. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

Is that insane too?

14. sailchris

sailchris Member

This is the reaction of a young sailor to the purchase of a Laser that is substantially identical to every other Laser in the world.
    Imagine what the reaction would be if the Laser were not a strict-one design class. Imagine the arms race (and price war) that would occur if a particular design were perceived to be better than the others.
    OK...now that you have scared yourself...calm down and be glad that we don't have to worry about these things.

15. bjmoose

bjmoose Member

His still has that "new boat smell!" :D

Think back on some time when you bought something you really liked and wanted, brand spankin' new. Car, boat, camera, computer, tools, furniture, clothes.... whatever.

Everything's all new... shiney... fits perfectly... no blemishes... no stains... no cracks... etc...

Those of us sailing old ones (mine's a 75!) can take comfort in the fact that they're designed and built the same, and the new one's aren't any *faster.* But no one can deny that they're *nicer.*

Good luck with your new boat! And the only proper thing to do with a new boat is to sail the heck out of it, and (while nevertheless taking good care of it) turn it into a used boat as quickly as possible. :cool:

16. torrid

torrid Just sailing

*GROAN*

Every Laser I have ever owned has been grey or white. Just what I was able to find used at the time. I was thinking about upgrading to a new boat and would LIKE to get a nice color, maybe red.

Guess I'll just have to wait a year or two to see what happens. At any rate, white/grey is better than the speckled "bassmaster" gelcoat Lasers they tried to sell a few years ago.

17. Ross B

Ross B Guest

???

18. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

Of course, they'll sell me a new boat when they put one out with a pink stripe.

19. torrid

torrid Just sailing

A few years ago, one of the hull "color" options on a Laser was a speckled, metal flake gelcoat like you see on bass boats. It was in a typical Laser two-tone scheme with the bottom half of the hull white.

My local Vanguard dealer had one sitting out in front of the shop for a couple of years without any buyers.

20. sk8ingsailor

sk8ingsailor Member

Merrily I saw a hot pink boat at surf city! That thing looked so awesome.

Chris, I have seen new boats all over the world. I am sure I have a different reaction to condition of boats. I have seen boats that need work and are not up to snuff, as to boats that I feel could win the worlds in a heartbeat. I am sure that those minor imperfections did not heed the performance of those boats. It is just my opinion, and my personal experience.