New 14.2 Owner, sort of...

Lightnsail

Ok, had a Mod 1 before and occasionally raced with my then 12-14 year old daughter. Anyway, she moved onto other interests (big surprise) and I moved through a Capri 22 and a Johnson 18, now back to 14.2. My lovely daughter is now 25, game to race again and I just picked up a nice Mod 3, hull number 4892 and have been cleaning her up, ordering a few new items, etc... Based on the condition of my first colored sails (red, white and blue) seems the boat was hardly sailed.

Real quick question: Is the bow area sealed off from the back of the boat? I ask as there was water in the bow and I lifted the bow to drain it to no avail. My wet/dry vac worked like a champ to remove the water, but I was a little surprised it didn't drain through the rear drain plug. Pretty sure the Mod 1 was different.

One more question: Who currently makes the best race sails for our boat?

Regards,
Jerry Kane
San Diego, CA

I noticed the same problem with water remaining in the bow in my MOD1...generally after a capsize(or forgetting to put the transom plug in before sailing!). What I found out is that 'most' of the water forward of the bow cuddy bulkhead will drain out along the sides of the boat and out the transom plug, but some will always remain, no matter how high I tip the bow up. So I actually keep an large sponge in the cuddy area whenever there is still some water.
I attached a diagram of why this happens.

Attachments

• Bow water.jpg
    Bow water.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 85
Thanks Bob, makes sense. Real tough to get a look inside with the mid 3 the way the door is hinged to open upward instead of down. I'll need to change that if I want to use the bow space.

Cheers,
Jerry

Hi Jerry,
I just placed an ad to sell a suit of North Capri 14.2 racing sails. These were made at the One Design Loft in San Diego. I bought them a few years back, but never used them in a race and they only have a few hours of use. You are getting a both sails for basically the price of a main. I am right here in San Diego.
Paul

Hi Jerry,
I just placed an ad to sell a suit of North Capri 14.2 racing sails. These were made at the One Design Loft in San Diego. I bought them a few years back, but never used them in a race and they only have a few hours of use. You are getting a both sails for basically the price of a main. I am right here in San Diego.
Paul
Paul,

Are you still selling the sails or are they sold?

Thanks.

Corina

Back