Never sailed before, some questions

Discussion in 'Sailing Talk' started by J_Chan, May 18, 2010.

1. J_Chan

J_Chan New Member

Again, only if I could fit into a wetsuit... :(

You are guarenteed to get wet, as like I said we'll be doing capsizing and righting the boat. And you will have to remain wet untill you get back on shore and take a nice warm shower.

2. Wayne

Wayne Member Emeritus

Capsize recovery is necessary small boat sailing knowledge. Every course will teach this skill.

If you are determined to sail this category of boat there appears to be a solution..., custom wetsuits are available.

[​IMG]

Wetsuit Wearhouse . . . custom size wetsuits
    http://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/page/WW/CTGY/custom-wetsuits

Wetwear … one-of-a kind wetsuit, one that's uniquely you
    http://www.wetwear.com

3. J_Chan

J_Chan New Member

Thanks for that Wetsuit Warehouse link. They have a full length suit that can be custom fitted going for $160. Everywhere else I can order custom suits from seems to go over $250-$300 which is abit too much for a beginner to be spending.

4. Wayne

Wayne Member Emeritus

NP...

Don't sweat the small stuff.

[​IMG]

5. uid100

uid100 New Member

Jess,

Really, you will dry faster too if you're in shorts and a shirt (or even two). In small boat sailing we expect to get wet every time we go out. You'll also be wearing a life jacket which will be help a lot in protecting you from getting chilled in the wind until you get back in and put on dry clothes. The reason you see everyone else getting off the water in shirts and shorts, is because that's what's comfortable. Sitting on a boat, in a wetsuit, all day, whether wet or dry, unless there are snowflakes gathering on your shoulders, will not be comfortable. Again, go to the lake/bay/waterfront, and check it out a couple more times before you decide you need to dress for an expedition with Jacques and Phillipe Cousteau. This is $300 you really don't need to spend. And then you'll have one more thing taking up space in your closet that may or not use once more in the next 15 years until it is cracked from being stored and finally disposed of.

Another thing, the challenge you may encounter with capsize/overboard situations is not the cold water, but climbing back into a boat can be more difficult for larger people. Remember too that you'll likely be wearing a life jacket, which will make it harder, not easier to climb out of the water. You won't want a lot of bulky clothes.

If you're still set on spending money on something that will make you more comfortable, consider finding a (comfortable) flotation vest. More likely than not, you will be required to wear them at least during your class, and there's a good chance that the sailing school's available sizes will be somewhat limited in larger (and smaller) sizes. Try one on, try sitting in it and make sure it is still comfortable.

6. J_Chan

J_Chan New Member

Floatation vests I don't have a problem with fitting into.

I've already signed up for the course and will be starting it at the end of June. So excited!

7. winever

winever Member

Jess, get some technical clothes as has been said. I have poly socks I wear when it's below 70 degrees. They keep my feet warm even if they are wet. I got poly underwear from Campmor. In wet conditions cotton does kill, or at least is cold. And even on 90+ days I now wear long sleeve tech shirts with 50+ SPF for the sun. Having skin cancer cut off 4 times has made me a believer. If the instructor is any good at all they'll understand, you should share the concern about getting back onboard, that is a skill you'll need to learn. You can do this and have a blast. Winever.

8. J_Chan

J_Chan New Member

I have some technical type clothes that I wear under my uniform in Tae Kwon Do and will probably be wearing that for sailing too. I will definately be wearing long sleeves and pants because I am allerigic to sunscreen and don't want to get sunburned.

9. Zeppo

Zeppo Member

Jess, if your sailing in a in BC during the summer shorts and a tee-shirt and possibly a wind breaking jacket will do. If your lake sailing in the winter you will need a wet or dry suit. If you are sailing in the ocean you would be wise to wear a wet or dry suit year round, sometimes if it's been hot and your close to the beach you can forget the wet/dry suit, and dress in shorts and whatever.

flaserlover, shorts and tee-shirt this time of year and the water is 21C, your obviously not sailing off West Van.

10. J_Chan

J_Chan New Member

I will be sailing in the ocean (Jericho Beach to be exact). I've put my hand in the water before once time just to test the temperature.

Like I said already, I don't fit into a wetsuit being so "underheight" and my dad doesn't want me putting down $160 for a custom one "until I start competing and winning".

For me, seems like that will happen when pigs can fly.

11. Zeppo

Zeppo Member

Sorry Jess, my comment about 21C. water in the ocean around Vancouver was directed at "flaserlover". Jericho beach ain't bad after the tides comes in, over some sun heated sand, other than that, it is cold. Might as well follow the dress code hundreds of others dinghy sailing out of Jericho beach are following. Are you sailing a Sunfish?

12. J_Chan

J_Chan New Member

Not sure what type of boat I'll be learning on yet. Even though it might be cold, I guess I'll just try and deal with it. Do you know approximately how long you'd be in the water for while trying to right the boat from capsize recovery?

13. Zeppo

Zeppo Member

You could be in the water anywhere from a couple of minutes to 5 or more depending on whether your having difficulty righting the boat or not. Once your back in the boat you will remain cold if it's windy or just if the air temp. is low. I would seriously try to find a neoprene suit that covers your torso and groin. Your arms and legs are a little lower on the "must keep warm" scale. Imagine if you capsize while sailing on your own and you are having trouble righting the dinghy, the longer it takes the colder and less able to function you become, the downward spiral has begun. The money you will spend on a neoprene suit will be money well spent.

14. J_Chan

J_Chan New Member

Hopefully by late June - early July, I will have lost enough weight to fit in one. Even made a tracker thing in my signature.

Like I said I cannot expose my arms or legs because I am allergic to sunscreen lotion as well as some ugly scarring. I would have to wear long sleeves/legs for that reason because I don't want to take the risk of skin cancer or embarassment. I just called up the sailing club/school today and asked them what they thought of my situation. They recommended wearing something that doesn't absorb water (like fleece or polyester) and avoid cotton at all costs.

15. J_Chan

J_Chan New Member

Abit of an update here.

I started my sailing course and I already capsized (unintentionally) atleast 5 times! It's frustrating at first, but I'm not surprized. Good thing is, I didn't feel seasick when I was out on the water, but say, an hour later after sailing, I felt like I was still on the boat. In terms of water temperature (out in the open) when I fell into it, COLD! Wasn't to the point of being unbearable, but still abit of a shock. Infact I think I caught a cold now...

16. Wayne

Wayne Member Emeritus

Glad to hear your class started. Sounds like you are progressing normally. Have fun. :cool:

17. FireplaceGirl

FireplaceGirl New Member

If you are at Jericho the chances are you will have started in an Escape. The horrid little roto-molded orange rubber duck. I hated those things. If you capsized 5 times already that means you must have had some wind! They turn back over easy peasy but they are darned hard to climb back into. Nothing to grab. I was not able to climb back into mine. They had to haul me into the coach boat by my life jacket. I landed face first on the bottom like a Tuna fish. Not my proudest moment.

After 3 days of instruction you should be moving to the double handed Pirates. A new set of challenges for the new sailor. How to work with crew.

I hope that you are having a ton of fun!

18. FireplaceGirl

FireplaceGirl New Member

OH, and about the "land sickness" thing, it goes away. For the longest time I thought I was weird and it was just happening to me. Just don't close your eyes in the shower for awhile and you will be fine.

19. Zeppo

Zeppo Member

where Jess is sailing the water is much colder than 22C, it is more like San Francisco Bay. He could get away with shorts and a PFD during the hottest days of summer, close to shore, any other scenario is wet suit city.

20. flaserlover

flaserlover Member

i actually am sailing out of west van, i think i may have forgotten to say that i am not one of the people in board shorts,:eek:: but they only dress light for a short sail, never for a reggata:)