Need complete rudder/tiller/ext.

Discussion in 'Laser Wanted Ads' started by Carol DeLorenzo, Aug 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carol DeLorenzo

Carol DeLorenzo New Member

Hi, My son lost the rudder/tiller (do they always sink?!) The boat is an 70's laser. Anything new will cost me half what I paid for the boat! Did anybody out there upgrade and want to unload their spare for a reasonable price? Thanks, Carol

2. 203

203 Very Senior Member

There's one on Ebay right now. Nice wood tiller and aluminum adjustable extension.

3. Carol DeLorenzo

Thanks! I just tried to look it up but didn't find it. Do you have a link or something for the listing? Carol

4. Carol DeLorenzo

Oh, I see the tiller, rudder listed separately. Thanks for the heads up. I will try for them, but it looks like there is some others interested. Carol

5. 203

203 Very Senior Member

Item # 200645234145 for the tiller and extension..

Item # 200645230297 for the rudder and rudder head...

The rudder and rudder head are going to be the expensive parts. The tiller and extension are not so bad. If it's just a kid sailing the thing on a pond somewhere, not in 'serious' official Laser events ( IE member of ILCA and sailing in events all over the country ) then I'd seriously look at Intensity ( big board sponsor ) or APS ( big board sponsor ) for what you need. Both have 'non official' stuff at very reasonable prices. APS also has the 'official' stuff if you need it. My local club doesn't give two hoots who made the rudder on my boat. Most clubs think along the same lines. If no club is involved, then the choice is used or 'non-official' for sure.

In the future, he may want to tie a very thin piece of very strong cord onto something on the rudder assy, then loop it around the traveler lower line somehow to make sure the rudder stays with the boat. Same for the mast/sail. That *is* expensive if it sinks.

6. Carol DeLorenzo

The rudder and rudder head are going to be the expensive parts. The tiller and extension are not so bad. If it's just a kid sailing the thing on a pond somewhere, not in 'serious' official Laser events ( IE member of ILCA and sailing in events all over the country ) then I'd seriously look at Intensity ( big board sponsor ) or APS ( big board sponsor ) for what you need.

--Yes, it's "a kid on a pond somewhere", nothing official needed. I priced the stuff through Intensity. Even $350 is disheartening, since we got the boat for $500. We will definitely figure out a way to secure it better in the future!

7. 203

203 Very Senior Member

If it helps any, you can easily sell the boat for 1000 almost anytime. Very few of these boats go for less than a K, unless they are very very tired. Good luck. Hope the kid love sailing. It's a great pastime, much better than videogames.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.