Near disaster

Discussion in 'Capri/Catalina 14 Talk' started by regularman, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Foam sleeve for mainsail

I had a chance to evaluate one of the foam sleeves that slip over the top of the mainsail. I don't recommend it. It's way too stiff, and wouldn't conform its shape to the wind.

2. regularman

regularman New Member

reefing

Kurt, Paul. Good luck with your projects. I am going to put some pictures on with the sail reefed, but every time I plan on it, The wind gets up and I still need to install some hardware for the reefing to work. I found double sided tape to be a life saver when putting the patches on. I bought some books on sailmaking and repair before I started. You are welcome to what little advice I can give. Just e-mail me.

3. regularman

regularman New Member

foam sleeves

Fast eddie, I looked at the info for the sleeve in the handbook and thought that might be the case. I kept looking for the type of closed cell foam that I thought would do well on a sail. Almost all I found was too stiff, I found some that was even softer than I used but was told that It starts to break down over time with heat and sunlight. I have not tested my sail out yet, It seemed like the good weather held until the day I finished my sail work. I hope this foam isn't so stiff that it screws up the sail shape in the wind. I will let you know, but it may be spring before I can do it. I would like to see a photo of one of the sleeves If anybody has one. It seems like Catalina doesn't offer much in the way of online photos for any accesories they sell.

4. jaeger

jaeger New Member

Kim,
    Thanks for posting the pictures
    Is the Yahoo place where you placed the pictures a free service?

5. regularman

regularman New Member

Yes, Jeagar, its free as long as you are willing to settle for a smaller picture than the original for others to see. My original downloaded photos were much bigger, but if I wanted others to be able to se them in that full size then I would have to buy a premium service, which I have no plans of doing. The photos seem to be veiwable at this size(about half). if you have any pictures of your boat, just look under yahoo for photo albums and follow the directions and start and album. I would like to see some more c14 pictures. It seems like every c14 I have seen has been a little different. They must have changed a few things with every year model. I have heard that Catalina now offers a c14 in a cat rig model(like a lazer). I haven't seen a picture of this yet, but it should be interesting.

6. jaeger

jaeger New Member

Kim,
    What hardware did you need to add to the Boom to accomadate the reefed main?

What does the slack part of the sail (under the reef points) do when you have it reefed?

Art

7. regularman

regularman New Member

jaeger , You have to add a cheeck block an eyelet and a cleat to the boom. I had to add an eyelet to the mast as well as using the extra cleat that was left over from when I converted to roller furling(jib halyard cleat). If you decide to do this let me know because I researched all the info of the proper placement of the cheek block on the boom. The slack part of the sail is folded up and held in place by ties(I actually use little bungi cords) that go through the reefing eyes and around the boom.

8. jaeger

jaeger New Member

Reef point position

OK 2 years after talking about it, I think I will be getting reef points put in. I do not want to do it myself, so I will be taking it to a sail loft. I am trying to determine how high up to have the reef points placed. I have one drawing that places the reef points 2 foot 3 inches above the boom. I am sure that the sail loft will have their recommendation also.

I woudl like to know where others have positioned the reef points. along with this I would also like to know what your experience has been with the setting. Was it enough or would you have made it higher?

I sail solo and I have roller reef for the Jib. There have been a few times that I felt that sailing with just the main was too much to handle safely.

I think that I would rather have them set a little too high (less sail in the wind) than too low. This would allow me to sail in strong winds with less sail.

Thanks in advance!
    Looking forward to Spring!

Art

9. rkrebill

rkrebill Member

Reef

Adding to the good discussion so far, we did purchase Sailrite's kit for reefing our C14.2 about 3 years ago. My wife sewed on the material for the grommets into an old mainsail with an ordinary Singer Sewing Machine. Used a lubricant on the needle to keep from breaking thread too often. Worked well. The kit had hardware and line for jiffy reefing which installed easily. With the main reefed and the jib up, the boat does handle nicely in winds in the 15 to 20 mph range which is max in which we've tried it. With jiffy reefing it is easy to shake out the reef when the wind drops, but I suspect (havn't tried) that it would be quite difficult to put the reef in after the wind starts to howl. Trick may be to have one of those boom kickers to keep the boom elevated as you lower the main. Also, good coordination with the crew and helmsman (like its good to practice) might suffice for that situation. Re/mast flotation, it definitely it pays to check to see if foam is intact in top of mast-- mine wasn't first capsize, so it turtled. If need to, can buy foam insulation in a spray can from a big hardware store. Also, it is possible to make a float out of one of those foam "swim noodles", that with ingenuity you can bend and tie to top of mast. Not too pretty, but it does add flotation that should easily keep the mast near the water surface after capsizing. So far have been fortunate enough not to test that in a capsize situation. Dick K.