My Laser Mistake (and a specific mast step repair Q)

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Kaiser, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

An update many months later:

I ended up doing a bunch of little things to finish making this boat lake-worthy:
    1) I put in an auto bailer
    2) I drilled out and re-anchored the grab rails and the rudder gudgeons using Marine-Tex
    3) I used more West System to make the bow loop attachment solid
    4) I drilled a bunch of holes and squirted in epoxy to fix the delaminated spot on the deck (put several weights on top to keep the deck skin and the foam core stuck together while the epoxy dried)
    5) Put on a new Seitech hiking strap
    6) lots of new lines etc
    7) My top mast section started telescoping down into the bottom mast section on the lake one day - turns out the rivet on the little positioning collar broke! I ended up replacing most of the rivets in the mast and boom and I put on that through-bolt kit for the block at the rear of the boom
    8) Used a heat gun to straighten out my bent daggerboard - and then used some West System with fairing filler to repair the tip of it that had broken off

... I'm sure there are a few other things... anyway - I've now sailed her quite a bit (raced with the AYC a few times last year - lost in a big way but still had fun :) ) and she doesn't leak AT ALL.

The deck is pretty soft - but for the casual fooling-around kind of sailing I do it's perfect :D

2. singletrack_mind

singletrack_mind New Member

3. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

Take just the lower section, hook or tape the start of the tape measure to the top of it.
    Put the lower section in the mast step, take the tape measure to the middle of the transom rail (above the gudgeons), pull it tight and check the measurement where the tape intersects the rounded corner of the rail .

4. singletrack_mind

positioning inspection ports for mast step work

I am about to repair the mast step on my boat and have searched the forum for advice. There's a lot of good info but for one thing:

I have not found any information regarding placement of the inspection port or ports needed to access the step. I bought two, thinking it might be easier. I also thought I might place them ahead of the mast where the hull is narrower so that it would be easier to reach through the ports. However, before I start cutting, I'd like to know structural (or other) considerations I should have in mind. If we can get some good solid info on this topic it would be great to ad it to the FAQ.

Something that has made my research more frustrating is that I can not see any of the images that seem to be attached to posts in the forum. If there's something I can do to change that I'd love to know what it is.

Thanks everyone!

5. xflyer95

xflyer95 New Member

There is a stringer that runs along the center. Most posts suggest off center location... enough to stay away from it. I believe it is around 2-3 inches wide.

My boat had a port when I bought it....right in the center!:mad: ...aft of the mast step.

It worked ok for the repair but it was hard to work the forward portion of the step...which is under considerable compression when block to block.

I would have welcomed a second port forward of the step ...but I managed.

I included some pics of the repair in my 74 restoration thread if you care to view....5 or so pages back. Kaiser was a great help as you have probably already figured out.

Good luck! Eric

6. singletrack_mind

inspection port location for mast step repair

Thanks. I figured there might be some structure under the deck or in it that I'd want to avoid. So anywhere to the side of the mast forward or aft would be OK? the 1 o'clock to 5 o'clock range and 7 to 11?

From the point of view of reaching th step, does anyone else want to weigh in on location or one vs two ports?

I would love top see your pictures, but as I said, I can't seem to see any pix on this forum. the ones that are in the posts just show as empty boxes, the links some folks post bring up an empty black window when I follow them. I'm not sure why this is, I can see images on another large forum I belong to.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

My picture hosting site went away... I will try to remember to put them back up tonight... If I forget, send me a PM or something...

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

Gah - I was going to edit my old posts to put the pictures back in but this board is making it a pain...

the pics have been hosted at a new site - see them HERE

9. singletrack_mind

thanks man, that first shot inside the hull showing the mast step from top to bottom and thee underside of the deck was the 'money shot'. I've seen a lot of other step repair pix, but none that show the underside of the deck and the fore-&-aft stringer that's built into it.

Now I'm ready to start cutting!

10. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Thanks for the effort, Kaiser; useful info!

11. Greg Morrissey

Greg Morrissey Member

What is the easiest way to reinforce a mast tube. If its watertight or does it need to be reinforced or will it be ok