Moving Mainsheet Blocks

altair

Someone at a regatta last summer had moved the mainsheet blocks from the factory set location. Has anyone else done this? if so, how much should they be moved? Should the forward block be moved aft or forward, same question for the aft block. Is there an advantage to moving them from the factory set position?

I have never done it, but I know a few people that have. I believe that the "pro" model of the sunfish has the blocks in a slightly different place, but I'm not sure of that. I would think you would move the forward block so that it is almost in line with the block, but again I'm not sure. The only advantage I can think of with that is you have more clearance room for the tiller and yourself if the block if foreword more.

I have done this to a few booms. It makes the forward block align with the deck block. Locate it as described in tips and tricks, but make sure you have a race sail loaded on the boom with the outhaul set about average position and position the block so that it does not interfere with the sail ties/clips.

And I thru-bolted mine with stainless bolts and nyloc nuts. Others have riveted. I pulled out a factory installed block fastened with rivets once.

Back