motors

EmeraldIsle

Am thinking of adding a motor to my 14.2 capri. I already have a larger motor (six hp long shaft) which weighs abt 57 pounds. When you include a three gallon gas tank the weight goes up. How much weight can I put in motor and gas on the back of the boat?

racing or just puttering around on a light wind day? If you are racing than remove weight rather than adding it - speed of the utmost if you are just puttering around and want a motor them don't put a motor on the boat that you don't want to be submerged. If the boat goes over expect the fuel tank to be floating in the water when you upright the boat.

Generally, I don't go out in a small sail boat such as the Capri unless there is wind. If there is wind than you should be able to sail anywhere you want. If there is no wind than don't go out. Yep, there are times when the wind is great when you start but drops to nothing as the day wares on but you can usually detect the wind dying soon enough to get back the the dock before there is zero wind. If you do get caught out and the wind is no longer strong enough to fill a sail then you should always have a paddle and paddling a a Capri 14.2 without wind is not a big deal - slow but doable...

If you feel you need a motor then the one you have should do the job just fine just remember the cautions.

I use a 30# thrust electric motor with a wheelchair battery to launch and dock my boat. The battery is much lighter than a marine battery. I tie the battery off to one of the hull fittings so that I don't lose it when I capsize.

I believe that the 57lbs. is too much for the Capri. Additionally, whatever motor mount should be selected with the ability to install it correctly in mind. Since the transom of a Capri is hollow, it is necessary to install a backing plate to any motor mount you choose. The backing plate is necessary to strengthen and stiffen the transom which is not factory ready for the motor mount. To properly install the backing plate, you will have to install an access port in the correct location so that you can reach the spot on the transom where you will be doing the install. The backing plate should be secured in place with 3M 4200 or 5200. Aluminum for the backing plate is preferred. I think the electric 36b trolling motor is a great choice if it gives you enough power and time to get out to open water, and return. Additionally, the electric is cheap compared to the next best choice the Honda 2.3 at 31lbs. Since you can purchase the electric with battery for around $200. It sure compares favorably to the $1000 Honda. But, you need to make your selection based on your needs, as well as the potential for capsize in mind. First thing I would do would be to contact your Catalina dealer, or the Catalina factory. I believe Catalina sells a motor mount, and they may provide specific install instructions, and specifications.

The motor mount offered by Catalina for the Capri 14.2 is intended to be mounted on the upper port side of the transom six inches from the port side of the boat. I'm not sure if Catalina always reinforced this area in the earlier models of the sailboat, but they did do so at some point in time. You can tell if your boat has this additional reinforcement by tapping on the transom in this area and listening to the difference in sound. However with this type of mount, and using the factory installation instructions, the mount will interfere with the rudder. As for the motor you mention in your post, I agree with Jim. 57 lbs. is way too heavy. I would opt for the electric motor with a small battery or look for a motor in the 2 to 4hp range and as light as possible. I have a 2004 3.5hp long shaft Nissan that weighs 28 lbs. This includes the internal fuel tank that holds less than one gallon of fuel. This was a used motor that I bought from the original owner for 400.00 and I found it on Craigslist. If you research this forum, you will find lots of good ideas regarding several different types of motors and mounting instructions.
Good luck. WB

Back