Most spectacular capsize?!

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by radial179102, Mar 4, 2006.

1. tino

tino New Member

Re: Most spectacular capsise?!

thanks for the tips to you all!
    its clear to step in from the windwardside and hold the mainsheet thight to get in,but I realised that the boat starts immediatly to head into the wind but next time I will try to get more off the wind to have a close reach position, hold the tiller extension in one hand and then start to crawl in, is that maybe correct?smile
    regards
    tino

2. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

Yes, remember that to right the boat, it must be head to wind, or it will keep on rolling and capsize onto the other side. If you can keep the boat head to wind, that is great, but if it drifts, get in on the windward side. This usually happens in windier conditions for me.

Also, do not hang onto the tiller extension. It's soft and it will bend. Trust me, I know this. I don't grab any lines or anything. I just get a grip on the grab rail and alley-oop, fall gracelessly into the cockpit and lay low until the boat settles. Then I gather up lines and sort things. It doesn't take long, and I guess the guy who can sort the mainsheet before he gets in will eternally be a better sailor than me.

3. Hekaleka

Hekaleka New Member

4. 157800

157800 Member

Last November my friends and I went out on a day where it was forecast for gale force. We got to the YC and it was only about 8 kts, so we decided "stupid meterologists don't know anything" we go out and twenty minutes later, sure enough its blowing 40 kts. I capsized (obviously) and my whole boat was picked up out of the water with the bow in the sky and the rudder out of the water! My bottom section broke, sail ripped in half, top section sunk, and my daggerboard had huge shark bites out of the trailing edge.

5. aweinert

aweinert New Member

I just started sailing in september (with the UF sail team), and have had quit a few muddy sails.

One practice (420s) my skipper and I were having a terrible race: we had tried rolling on the start, but instead did one of those slow dry capsizes. We then hit evey mark, etc. As we were crossing the finish my skipper says to the coach "Eveything that could have gone wrong, did go wrong". Of course, 2 seconds later we jibe and turtle (my first). I ended up under the boat. Not too spetacular, but hilarious.

My first laser reggata I ended up capsizing 2 or three times a race, and the race I didn't capsize, I foul the boat I was competing with to get around the mark first. I practiced my jibes alot after that .

My most spectular capsize was on a hobie wave. There was lots of wind, so I was hiked out, screaming on a reach, hanging on by my toes as far back as I could. Then a big puff came along, and the boat started to pitchpole. I flew out because I was hanging on by only my toes. When I surfaced, the boat was upside down and demasted. Needless to say the guy who ran the lake and boats wasn't too happy. It took them 45 minutes to get it back upright.

I wasn't involved in this, but our team went. It was during the Truxton Umstead reggata at Navy. http://nowevolve.mybesthost.com/Wipeout.wmv
    Watch the bow of boat 3.

6. crazysailor

crazysailor New Member

I was sailing in a club 420 2 years ago, it started to rain and i mean rain ALOT!!! for those who don't know vanguard 420's are very very tippy so when the wind caught us (my partner and i) could do nothing but accept the capsize, since niether of us had a trap harness. so we are in the water and we point the boat into irons you know run through the basics, but we could not get the boat righted. our instructer was nearby ina motor boat and he comes to help our friendjumped into the water from the motor boat and helped us right the boat. we got it righted but my partner didn't un cleat the main sheet(i don't know why he had it cleated in the first place) so the boat capsized immediatly. we finally get it righted and inside and all the lines are tangled so we start working on them, but my partner lets go of the tiller and we begin to gybe in 25+ knots of wind, i notice this and tried my best to stop the boom from swinging across and hitting my partner but that was impossible, i yell "Heads up!!" as the boom snaps across and hits my partner in the head, in doing so the boat capsizes once again he immerges from the water consiouse and screaming he swims over to our instructor in the boat screaming "MOMMY MOMMY SAVE ME!!" my instructor takes my partner in the the motor boat onto land and i am left in the middle of a lake all alone, can't see land because it's raining so hard, i'm standing on the gunnels of my turtled 420, until finally what felt like an eternity later another instructor boat comes with the head of the sailing school and another man in it. the head instructor jumps into the water and we right the boat, he drops the sail and the man in the motor boat pulls us into the docks.

that was the most exillerating moment of my life.:D

Crazysailor

7. jamesfreedman

jamesfreedman New Member

The most spectacular capsizes ive seen are my competitors that are beating me and allow me to pass them. hehe just kidding that is mean. The last regatta I sailed I won two races just because of that. Felt like I was taking candy from a child. Capsizing is very tiring and is really not fast.

8. sailor327

sailor327 New Member

wow i had the exact same experiance up until the whole gybing part except the jib was cleated and the instructor helped us sail it in

9. lasersailor2006

lasersailor2006 New Member

i was out sailing my laser the other day. there was only like 5 knots of wind and this monster boat came by. its wake was around five ft. as the wake got closer it was on the verge of breaking because it was simi shalow were i was sailing. the wake picked me up and i started planning. then i slightly leaned to windward annd knew it was all over i had a massive death roll going really fast. the water was warm so it turned out to be very fun

10. madyottie

madyottie Apprentice

Having not actually capsized anything in the last two years, I managed to get it wrong big-time twice over last weekend, which resulted in me basically getting a standing ovation when I got back into the clubhouse!! :)
    The first time was on a friday evening race, while I was battling a Laser 2000 for the gun. On the last run, having survived 4 gybes in 30Kts plus, and not even felt wobbly, I was right behind him sailing along, when suddenly I was sat in the fully hiked position in the water about 30feet behind the boat, just hanging on to the mainsheet! :D I think what happened was, in the nasty 3foot high sideways waves, I'd rolled to windward, corrected, moved in, and as the boat rolled to leeward, pushed back out, but missed the toestrap! Clubhouse consensus:- Asleep at the wheel!:rolleyes:

The second time was on the bank-holiday monday, when things got a bit out of hand. I wasnt actually out racing (baby sitting duty) but when the fleet got a bit decimated by 35+ knots, I had to rescue one of the boats (the crew had been taken off by the rescue boat). The boat was a Topper, which are not very buoyant in the bow, to put it mildly. Anyway, I get in the boat, and, since the breeze feels like its dieing, I take out the reef, and start to sail home. I hadnt noticed that the clew strop had come unhooked.
    Almost back to the club, and the 35kts comes back. Straight downwind to the slipway!!:eek: No problem, I thought, Board up half way, just enough kicker to stop things getting too sketchy etc. I bear away, and the bow goes down, submarining the boat completely, and me hanging on to the far toestrap just to stay in the boat. Then the bow pops up, and this tiny little boat accelerates like a jet fighter on steroids! Now the clew strap becomes obvious, as the leech of the main starts to really twist forward. Nevermind the deathroll, this thing was full-on chinewalking, just bouncing from side to side, with me basically sculling the tiller trying to keep the boat under the mast. No chance!! The bounce just flips it into a complete 180 to windward, so quick I cant even move toward the high side before it turtles.:mad: Right the boat, pull the board up, and drift slowly sideways until I can sail back to the slip. Thats when I found out that everyone saw it! oops!:D Clubhouse consensus :- Crazy fast and spectacular! :rolleyes:

11. Like_Billie-O

Like_Billie-O New Member

My capsise wasn't that specky but, here goes any way.

i hadn't been sailing a laser for long, it was fairly lite conditions, i was just crusing along in a club boat and i could see a gust coming, i sliped my feet under the toe strap ready to hike out, as the gust came i lent back out of the boat and my feet sliped out of the strap,i landed in the water. the boat didnt actualy go over i was hanging on to the mainsheet and getting draged along in the water, i pulled my self back in to the boat and kept sailing (hoping no one saw me):eek:

12. LakeSailor168600

LakeSailor168600 New Member

Mine was ok, but wasn't in my laser
    Me and my friend were in a club 420 practising for the Bemis semi's, and trying to do spin sets, as niether of us knew how. Wind was about 25-30, remarcable on Lake Lanier, and as we rounded the mark and got the spin up and started sailind downwind, the spin pole pops off the mast. "i'll get it", says nick, and heads forward. as he reachers the front, a huge wave hits us from behind, and the boat starts to bow plow. At this time i was on the transom hiking with the mainsheet, and nick was trying to climb up the now almost veritcle 420. The bow seemed to stop dead while the transom went up, up, up and over, coming down upside down on the other side, with me sitting on it, and nick in the middle holding onto the hiking strap. Needless to say, we were both very winded, and once nick had gotten out from under the boat we took an hour to right it. oh, and it was hailing, just to add to our traumor

13. chrisfsi

chrisfsi New Member

OK, so at the end of this clip, sailer in the Radial looks like he's recovered from a capsize, starts to sheet in and bang! straight over again to windward. What's he doing wrong, and what should he (or she, sorry;) ..) have done to prevent this??

14. computeroman2

computeroman2 Member

He has way too much vang off. If you look closely, you can see that the leech of the sail looks like....sort of like a bowl or a funnel? having a wide open leach like that in high winds creates a funnel effect. The wind hits the sail and follows the path of least resistance, which in this case is off the leach (due to the funnel shape) and that creates considerable side force. Evidently enough to push him over. You can eliminate this by taking on more vang, in his case a lot more.

15. chrisfsi

chrisfsi New Member

Thanks - I'ts good to have the video - know I've had that problem a few times, but without someone sitting behind you at the time watching what you're doing, it's hard to know what you're doing wrong. Will try pulling on the vang more...

16. computeroman2

computeroman2 Member

One more thought that hit me. If you are still having this problem and have a considerable amount of vang on, you can ease the vang off a little bit and then sit on the leeward side of the boat, on the same side as the sail, to counteract the force pushing it over. I believe it's very stable in that setup.

17. sailor327

sailor327 New Member

i was once about to go out and i saw my old hiking streap was about to go at the seam. so i just tie a line across it and hope it will help support me. the winds were around 20 so i was definatley goin to need it so i go out and was hiking firehose reach and then the hiking strap went and the line saved me. that was a really close spectacular capsize.

18. madyottie

madyottie Apprentice

From looking at that clip, it looks to me like he's almost trying to power up with the boom already past 90 degrees. Add to that the afforementioned loose kicker, and his kinda lame tiller movement, and I think we can all see why he's swimming! Lately I've been seeing just how loose I can have the kicker/vang, and I've been very suprised!! with the vang on its longest setting, in up to about 20knots I've not had any scares, except when I've tried to bear off slowly! By following the Cockerill idea of bearing off hard and using the rudder as a stabiliser, I seem to be more stable downwind than ever before.
    It took a few near misses in the beginning tho, just from not being anywhere near aggressive enough on the bear away. Once I got that sorted, I discovered he was right! :)

19. mikel

mikel New Member

OK i have two good ones.

So i was doing the bigdingy this year at ryc and i finished the first race. the wind shifted a crap load and they had to reset the course. The wind picked up to about 20-25 with gusts of 30. (we were racing in southhampton so big chopy swell). I decided to start sailing around isted of sitting in safety position. Then i get the bright idea to turn down wind and try to surf without easing the vang and all the vital things. i immediatly death roll and i get the mast stuck in the mud (supper shallow at southhamp) and the boom is still in the air boat rounds up tourques the top section so much that it rips the sail in half. boat pops up with the bottom section and a third of sail. that it. rest of my gear in the bottom of the bay. i got to spend the rest of the day in back of race commitee.. fun

second
    i was racing the #1 bays reggata and i didnt realize that the clubs boat i was using was having serious delam issues (the whole port side deck hull joint was comming undone) . so after the race when sailing back from rycherdson's bay to SFYC it was blowing prty danm hard and huge swells and i turn the boat down in the wazes sailing ddw i start to get very squirlly.. i think to myself what the f- CRASH! i was plaing at full speed and death roll right there. i was launched forward . i was about 5-10ft away from my boat. once i got back to the dock it took 6 or 7 people to attempt to pull my boat up the ramp just to let it drain.

goood times

20. laser2_9804

laser2_9804 New Member

This one happened to me in the 125 I skipper. It was at the Nationals at the end of last year. One race was really windy - gusts up around 45 knots. I have no idea why they even let us out, let alone why they didn't cancel the race. Anyway, this regatta was occuring on a river, but I swear we had the biggest waves I have ever seen. We started the race and then capsized at the first mark. Deciding it was way too windy we headed back to the club. Therefore we were running downwind, surfing down these huge waves, me barely able to steer at all - I just had to pretty much 'go with the flow'. Suddenly this huge gust came as we were surfing down a wave and we went over, fast and messily. Then to make matters worse, the boat wouldn't turn head to wind because the waves were so huge, so every time we pulled the boat up the waves capsized it again. Heaps of the other boats said it looked very spectacular and painful (which it was - I almost got knocked out!) We ended up pulling the boat up eventually but then realised that we had shredded the jib and snapped the top batton in the main. We had to drift the boat onto a sandbank and wait for the rescue boat to come and tow us back.

To be honest that was the scariest sail I have ever had, and the scariest capsizes. I was so cold it wasn't funny, and when the boat was upside down we couldn't get on the hull cause of the waves and I could barely hold onto the boat. I ended up having to grab a line and hope that I would be able to keep hold of that if I lost my grip on the boat.