Minifish spar question

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by Alan S. Glos, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Alan S. Glos

Alan S. Glos Active Member

I am working with a Minifish owner who plans to cut a set of Sunfish spars down to Minifish specs and needs to
    know the length of the Minifish booms and mast. If you have a Minifish rig and would be willing to measure the spars and post the results here, that would be appreciated. I think metal end to metal end would yield the most accurate cut, but end cap to end cap would also work.

Thanks!

Alan Glos
    Cazenovia, NY

2. Roller

Roller Member

Minifish-_mast_sparsjpg.jpg

I have a 1983 Minifish. The measured lengths of the Minifish mast and booms are shorter than specs I've seen published.
    Minifish mast: (published spec) 9' x 2 1/4" OD
    Minifish mast: (as measured) 8'9" (including bottom & top caps)
    (I actually have two "Minifish" masts: both measure 8'9")
    Minifish booms: (published spec) 12' 8" x 1 1/2" OD
    Minifish booms: (as measured) 12'2" (including end caps)
    (Both Minifish booms measure 12'2" long w/ caps)
    The Minifish has a non-OEM sail from Super Sailmakers of Ft Lauderdale, FL which fits the booms properly.

I don't think the masts or booms have been trimmed. All the plastic caps are fastened with the little factory pins.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  3. Alan S. Glos

Alan S. Glos Active Member

Roller,

Thanks. I passed your post on to the Minifish owner. Very helpful.

Alan Glos
    Cazenovia, NY

4. Roller

Roller Member

Error! Error!

Alan--

In rethinking the Minifish mast/boom measurements I posted I realized that I used a fiberglass measuring tape with a 4" leader... and that I may not have accounted for the length of the leader. If I did not, corrected measurements are:
    • the Minifish mast: 8'9" + 4" tape leader = 9'1" (counting the halyard and bottom end caps, so essentially the 9' published spec is correct)
    • the Minifish booms: 12'2" + 4" tape leader = 12'6" (counting the end caps; still shorter than the published spec of 12'8").

The Minifish is in a different location just now and so I can't immediately double check the dimensions. I'm very sorry for this probable mistake on my part.