Minifish: Can I use a regular Sunfish sail?

LMAC

Hello all,
I purchased by first sailboat..a Minifish...It came with sunfish mast/spar/boom but no sail..Question: can i use a regular Sunfish sail?
Also, the hull looks pretty good given the age of boat, but I may I think I want the fiberglass touched up, new paint job...at the very least a good inspection and clean up of it....any thoughts/ideas anyone has for best approach for this would be great..

Lastly, is there a "Minifish Bible" or does the "Sunfish Bible" cover minifish topics?

Thanks to everyone for any and all replies! Happy sailing

Some people do sail Minifish with a standard Sunfish sail but at 75 sq. ft. (compared to the 65 sq. ft. Minifish sail) the Sunfish sail is a little large for the Minifish hull and you may well feel overpowered when the wind picks up. Also, the larger Sunfish sail may strain the Minifish hull if you get caught in a heavy air squall. Try the larger Sunfish sail is light to medium
wind and see how it goes.

Other than the owner's manual that came with a new Minifish, I do not know of a "Minifish Bible" but a lot of the material in the Sunfish Bible would also
apply to the Minifish (same builder - very similar design, albeit smaller.) The Minifish is a great little boat, well designed and built, rarely leak, a true cartopable boat and sporty.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Hey Thanks Alan! Really appreciate the feedback! Another sailor said if I want to go on an 'thrill' ride when the wind kicks up than use the Sunfish sail..or I may capsize...who knows? Thanks again for the advice!

Some people do sail Minifish with a standard Sunfish sail but at 75 sq. ft. (compared to the 65 sq. ft. Minifish sail) the Sunfish sail is a little large for the Minifish hull and you may well feel overpowered when the wind picks up. Also, the larger Sunfish sail may strain the Minifish hull if you get caught in a heavy air squall. Try the larger Sunfish sail is light to medium
wind and see how it goes.

Other than the owner's manual that came with a new Minifish, I do not know of a "Minifish Bible" but a lot of the material in the Sunfish Bible would also
apply to the Minifish (same builder - very similar design, albeit smaller.) The Minifish is a great little boat, well designed and built, rarely leak, a true cartopable boat and sporty.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY
One additional question...if I can find the Minifish sail, can I use the Sunfish mast/spars? Or do you suggest I do what I can to find the proper Minifish replacements (mast/spars and a new sail)...thanks!

Sunfish spars, mast and booms can be easily cut down to Minifish specs. The tubes are the same diameter for both designs. The Mini specs are on the internet somewhere.

Alan Glos

I would love to have both Mini-Fish and Sunfish rigs: check for windy vs calm days, and switch-over! I think member Stache might have a spare Mini-Fish sail and spars—at least he did, six years ago.

Send a "Start a Conversation" message?

A Mini-Fish sail and spars was offered eight miles away from me on Craigslist—free! :cool:
Somebody got there first...:(

Great idea..thanks..I'll check with Stache...seems Minifish gear is harder to come by... :-(

Back