Min. Wind Speed Needed

dwisniew

Hi,

I used to own a 14.2 and I remember you could control the boat when only 2-5 mph of wind?

I have a larger daysailer and seems it does not sail well in light winds as my old 14.2 did.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

It takes almost nothing to get my 14.2 moving, but she really likes 8-10 knots. Over 10 knots, she goes back on the trailer.

The boat will ghost along in almost glass conditions if its flat water with no current. Just sit to leeward and forward so the sails fall into their best shape (gravity). You sit forward to get the weight out of the transom so the boat moves better. Keep the sails eased a bit and no vang, soft outhaul, soft jib halyard.

Many factors

If what you are asking is how to get your new boat moving in light air:
There are many factors.
A clean bottom and blades for starters.
Try a slight degree of heel to leeward. Keep the crew weight close to the center of the boat.
Bringing up the board half way reduces wetted surface.
A fuller sail will keep the boat going better once the boat is in motion in a light wind, but oddly enough according to Stuart Walker, "...with the initation of motion from a newly arrived puff, a flat sail section is most effective.
Personally, I worst problem racing in light air is staying away from other boats: In other words, getting clear air. Id do quite well in racing if it were not for all those other boats!
Good luck.
P.S. I seem to remember something from my high school physics that says that the force needed to accelerate something is proportional to the mass times the acceleration (F = ma). If that is so then a = F/m. That suggests if the weight of the boat is greater it will take more force (sail area and/or wind) to get the boat moving. Lighter is better in light wind.

Back