Michigan Sunfish - $400 OBO

Discussion in 'Sunfish For Sale' started by Tlaw, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tlaw

Tlaw New Member

My brother and I were given this Sunfish from our aunt when we were in middle school (over 15 years ago). We used it less than 6 times and it has been in storage inside my dad's pole barn ever since. I am guessing the year it was built is between '72 and '79 but would be interested to know if people are able to tell from the pictures.

The boat is complete with all original parts! It almost certainly needs a new sail. I didn't even unwrap it and could see tears. The hull will take a little bit of work to restore, but it will float in it's current condition. I also believe that someone could part it out at this price and still make money (though I would hate to see that happen). I have uploaded all current pictures, but please contact me with questions.

Attached Files:

2. oldfish

oldfish Member

put serial number out here and we can possibly tell year.

3. Tlaw

Tlaw New Member

It looks like there was a tag of some sort just behind the splashguard but it is gone. The only numbers that I found were the patent number near where the rudder connects. It does say AMF/Alcott inside the cockpit and it has a storage compartment along with metal along the gunwale

4. minifish2

minifish2 Active Member

I am sure someone here can narrow it down, but a guess would be between '69 and '71.

Try listing on Craigslist and here. It would be helpful if you could weigh the hull and let us know.

A boat similar to yours - this one had maybe a nicer hull and was a competitive weight - sold for about $600 at our club, which was certainly more than I wold have paid. Itbmight be a stretch but I would bet you will still get inquiries t hat price and you can always back off. But the point is you never know, and you might give it a try on Craigslist or something. Others may have other ideas if you are looking to get a good price.

I wouldn't worry about the sail. A new Infinity racing sail is only something like $119 these days. If there was any buyer hesitation I might bring that up. The older style rudder is a negative for serious sailors, but enough people are good with it so that this shouldn't seriously affect price.

Good luck.

• Spam Spam x 1
  5. beldar boathead

beldar boathead Well-Known Member

It is a 1971. That was the only year there were triple stripes on the foredeck and the old style bronze rudder fittings. It was also the first year of the storage cubby in the cockpit. 1972s were similar, but have the new rudder. 1970 models had double stripes on the foredeck and no cubby. BB

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tlaw

Tlaw New Member

Thanks for all your help on here. It's been fun to learn more about this boat and sailing in general in the week or so I've been on this site!

7. tag

tag my2fish

Well if you're having so much fun, stick around! Keep the boat and start sailing it!

8. Breeze Bender

Breeze Bender Breeze Bender

I'd say $400 is about right if the sail needs to be replaced but the boat is otherwise complete, sound, and not overweight. The deck doesn't look faded, as many red decks get from the sun. A bit of wax might be worth your time, bringing out the color even more. The rudder and centerboard look nice, too.

9. pitbull815

pitbull815 New Member

Location?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.