"match racing" for last place !

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by martin_y, Oct 14, 2006.

1. StephenIles

StephenIles New Member

"Comes in at the back once in a while"I'm always at the back !!!!!!!!!!!

2. martin_y

martin_y New Member

Hey it was still fun !

Disheartened I am not ! I have been at the back for ages, and a few years ago, the Toppers used to overtake me.I could have become disheartened ( and taken up chess) ages ago.

I was very heartened to be 8th at the first mark. Some guys from my club even looked twice, as if to say "what the f* are YOU doing here ! " So it was a great feeling to get in with the guys and sail with them for a while. I actually stayed with them, except I went to the wrong side on one beat, and thats how I landed up at the back .

Practice is always a good idea, but we need to read Eric Twiname's book to dedice WHAT to practice ! Plus, I have a baby and I travel a lot with my job, so... not much spare time... and sailing isnt my only hobby !

Thanks for the chit-chat guys, its helped me think a LOT about what happened, what I am doing, and how to improve.

3. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

Dang!! I just don't get it. I placed one of shose wooden strike anywhere versions next to paper safety style and sat and sat and sat.

How can you tell when those suckers are racing??

4. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

That is so dumb! Why am I sitting here laughing and laughing? :p

5. martin_y

martin_y New Member

6. Wafoo

Wafoo New Member

Had the same thing happen to me yesterday,there was about 8 of our fleet out,myself and another guy were battling it out for fourth and fifth,he got ahead of me on the run down to the last mark,then I sneaked past him on the beat,despite him cover tacking me all the way up,by which time everyone else had caught us up!
    My main gripe was I finally got him on starboard so he tacked under me,then luffed up straight into me which entailed him going througth the wind,he then moaned about protesting me,quoting windward boats etc,demanded 720's so having a life outside of sailing I retired,thing is it was for fourth place in a nothing series and his actions almost cost him his measly point,as you can guess this got me quite irate,so think is,how in the right was he,I know he can luff me but if it involves him going into wind,well who's right?
    Just read this and it sounds like sour grapes,but the guy just annoyed me,tried to talk to him afterwards he just blanked me,asked him to try and explain it to me he just stormed off,now as I said I sail for fun,but knowing there are guys out there like this makes me think it's time to change

7. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

I think he can do that, but I'm a newbie, so :confused:

8. Owyn in Barnsley

Owyn in Barnsley New Member

If he had gone past head to wind by the time he hit you then he was on port tack, then it's just port starboard.

Also he has to give you room to keep clear when he acquires right of way so if he tacked, then spun it round and hit you with all too quickly for you to have a reasonable chance to get out of the way then it's all on him.

I also don't like the fact he actually hit you, I thought you had to avoid contact then just yell protest.

9. Deimos

Deimos Member

[FONT=Verdana, monospace]An aside here but where on a Laser do you fly a protest flag from ?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, monospace]Ian[/FONT]​

10. Wafoo

Wafoo New Member

He had a very nice hand made flag which lived on his kicker.
    Thanks Owyn for that,i thought I had a case,but after a twenty year lay off I'm a bit rusty,i'll see if I can have a word with him next week,it did seem to be a grumpy Sunday thougth,no protests all season,then threats abbounded all day!!!

11. Owyn in Barnsley

Owyn in Barnsley New Member

You don't, just yell protest, there is some length of boat under which you don't have to fly one. can't remeber what it is just now but it's longer than a laser.

They used to have them in little film cases on the boom before that rule came out and Ben Ainslie had one under his hat.

12. martin_y

martin_y New Member

Hey I'm sorry, but your post made me feel a LOT better ! Because its not just me ! Fancy a game of chess, then ?

13. martin_y

martin_y New Member

oops - I am not sure why that came out twice ???Anyway, we have a magazine here fro DInghy sailing, and I started the same thread on their forum ( not with your responses) , and they have chosen it to print in the magazine. They are sending me a gift, too ( Gul bag, I think). So I feel a LOT better now ! :)Thanks for all the replies, guys.

14. abenn

abenn New Member

Whatever you do, if you feel you're in the right, don't retire because of guys like this. As you say we're out there for fun and if you retire you're letting him take that away from you. I think you did really well to try and talk to him but it sounds like there really was a grumpy atmosphere.
    As Owen said, he must give you room and opportunity to keep clear and with most reasonable sailors this means calling you to "come up" when they are to leeward of you and trying to luff. If this guy sails regularly, then I'd make a point of trying to avoid him - i fhe tacks right under you, try to anticipate it and as soon as you've forced him to tack, tack away yourself.
    If a situation occurs where he calls a protest - just tell him OK and let him put it in. Then he'll be forced to discuss the issue with you - and the protest committee and can't just storm off - if he wants to go through with it. Being in the protest room doesn't have to be a nasty event - you can just give your version of events and ask the committee to tell you if you were wrong - and gracefully accept there judgement if you were. Tell the other guy you're sorry and buy him a beer. Alternatively his bluff will be called or he'll be shown to be in the wrong.

15. Wafoo

Wafoo New Member

yeah,thanks for the advice on this,felt I should have pursued it further,but I'll be back on Sunday and all being well will try again to beat him with a bit less naivety maybe.
    Should have realised what he was like as in our regatta the other day was arguing with the commitee about discards and how he should have beaten the other guy for 7th place,oh well some people eh?