Masts, Spars, Carbon, and prices

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Ross B, Apr 3, 2007.

1. lightninggeorge

lightninggeorge New Member

Re: Price of Laser sails

Tony,
    I'm almost convinced.
    George

2. Steve_Landeau

Steve_Landeau New Member

That's all fine and dandy, and yes, its much cheaper than a Finn mast. But... dont be fooled, the aluminum tube is about $30 worth at the most. Add another $4 worth of plastic, and now you are at manufacturing cost. Who's getting the rest of the $200+ ?

3. Ross B

Ross B Guest

i know!!!!!!

i just destroyed my boom yesterday( i suck at removing rivets......)

and now i gotta pay 270 for a new one!!!! RIP OFF!!!!!

4. onetwoMeny

onetwoMeny New Member

salsa, about your rivot problem drill them out you wont damage your boom.

yeah the price of spars is way to much. my father works for a company that deals with aluminuim tubing, i can make three mast for under a hundred canadian. so who the hell is getting all this extra mony.

the traveler blocks are pretty crapy, i took a club laser out it about 40 knts and the traveler block litterally blew up under pressure. i still have the original blocks that came out with the first lasers they worked fine 30+ years ago and they still work fine now. why dont we still use them.

the sails, why are the sails so damn expensive it like they tacked on an extra 300 bucks for putting the class btton on it. My club had some made by the cadet sail enter cost them only 500can all the same dimmensions just no class button same material.

these prices are gettin ridiculus. we shold really push for cheaper sails and spars if only one company makes them why dont they jst say lowerthe prices or were switching compaies.

5. vtgent49

vtgent49 Member

You don't have to look beyond Optis, to have some proof that more manufacturers of sails doesn't really help the price. There are at least 13 Opti sail manufacturers, and some offer 10 different sail choices. The top sails from Olimpic are 525. in the US, and you might outgrow the sail you have a need a new one!

http://www.optiworld.org/06topgear.pdf

http://www.sailorsproshop.com/sails.html#optimist

Plus you have to get black spars, that cost more than bigger Laser spars. Then you need cool custom boards, and lots of little goodies.

Then you need a new McLaughlan hull (with no gel coat on the ends to save weight!)

Opti's are a One Design class that is completely out of control, missing the whole point of of racing One Design, where the sailor wins the race. It's a checkbook war, and really sends the wrong message to the kids.

JMHO

Al

6. onetwoMeny

onetwoMeny New Member

this is somthing we realy dont want happening to our association. is it?

7. Dennis

Dennis Member

Hey OneTwoMeny - that's a cool avatar you're using there. It's me!

Dennis Olson
    Tomales Bay, CA

8. Laserite

Laserite New Member

Well they are back testing carbon top sections. i know this beacause I just sailed at a regatta where one was tested. It looked well made.

Four days of sailing, wind 20 -25knots, highest reported gust 32 knots.

From last count out of a fleet of about 30, there were, 6 top sections snapped, 2 bottom sections snapped (radial). Every top section had a permanent bend.

Carbon mast - not a thing wrong. I know what I would rather have even if it costs more.

9. Ross B

Ross B Guest

atta boy

10. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

LAserrite, The carbon testing is only for radials correct?

11. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

That's right.

12. TonyB

TonyB Member

Hey Laserite, I didn't realise someone was using a carbon section for the Bilby... who was it? Any noticeable difference in their performance/results? I should try and grab it before it leaves town and put it in the full rig, just for the sake of curiosity.

13. Laserite

Laserite New Member

Gabe had it. In regards to the other queston - yes I belive it is only being tested for radials - why - I don't know...

14. SFBayLaser

SFBayLaser Member

It would appear this thread has been hijacked/morphed into one on composite spars... Maybe Bradley can separate it? [DONE- Apr 17, 2007 3:42EDT]

A new round of composite upper testing has been started and will run into the early Summer. The goal remains to produce a reliable upper section for the Radial that will widen the competitive weight range of sailors. The current set of spars have already shown this capability and in the next several months they will be going through a final round of "real world" testing to confirm this.

The main testing will be aimed at the Radial and not at the Standard or 4.7 rigs.

Tracy

15. Laser76489

Laser76489 Member

If the carbon top will help to widen the weight range for the radials why is it not being considered for the other 2 rigs?...there are a lot more full rigs out there and certainly a larger difference in crew weights.

16. Ross B

Ross B Guest

I would certinly love to have one for fulls, myself being on the lighter side

17. Deimos

Deimos Member

As a slight aside and relating to masts and prices (of sails) - I notice that in France there are two top sections available. A true Laser one (sold as a true Laser one) and a non-Laser one sold as outside the class rules and no good for regattas). The non-Laser one is half the price of the Laser one. However, I have no idea if this half priced non-Laser one is any good, if it lasts or bends in a F2, etc. I do not intend to buy either in the near future (not if I can help it anyway).

Ian

18. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

OK. Let's all remember the standard laser was DESIGNED for a 180 lb person. It has been shown that high level competitive weghts for the standard rig range between 168 and 190 lbs. Why would we continue to provide advantage for the lighter weight sailors? That's what the radial is for! As of now guys who are 190 lbs and over and in good shape get to turn on their upwind "jets" when the breeze gets to 15+, (not a lot of the time). Then they pay downwind. Why give the 160 pounders the advantage of switching to a carbon rig that wll bleed off in the heavy air allowing them to negate the heavier sailors advantage and then gain off wind. So, maybe we should allow the new 8.1 Rooster rig to be used by the heavier sailors when the breeze drops below 15. That's it! The lighter sailors can have the carbon spar and the heavy sailors get to switch to the 8.1 sail in the lighter breeze. However, to qualify for the "big sail" you must weigh in at a mnimum of 185 lbs+. How do you guys like that?

19. tomsinamerica

tomsinamerica New Member

Rob B....

You're so smart! I've had enough of lightweights complaining that they can't pull on the vang, sheet in, hold it flat, bear away or anything else for that matter when the wind gets interesting.... That's why Mr. Laser invented the radial.... if you're too small, change the rig or go to the gym, do NOT change the top section to be a (more) bendy one

20. Josef

Josef New Member

One misstaken little hit on the side of your nice new carbon mast and it is no more.

Anyway, if you treat the laser maststs properly they won't get permanent bends for ages (radial lower masts will probably after a wile, standards takes ages)
    . That is if you don't think that the upper mast gets permanent bends that you cant bend back, which it dosn't.