Mast well, how deep should it be?

winever

Sailing 2 weeks ago and my mast well broke loose top and bottom. When I looked inside the hull (have some ports in already) it looked like a piece was still there and it had split in the middle. Then to night I look a little closer and see the well doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the hull, seems to be raised (or filled???) about 3 inches. Is this normal? Pix attached, the tube part that remains is solid. Thanks, Winever.

Attachments

• DSCF0445-2.jpg
    DSCF0445-2.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF0449.JPG
    DSCF0449.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 45
The mast hole is 11.5" deep on my 2005 boat, but the last inch is a smaller diameter than the mast so it only goes in 10.5".

Sailing 2 weeks ago and my mast well broke loose top and bottom. When I looked inside the hull (have some ports in already) it looked like a piece was still there and it had split in the middle. Then to night I look a little closer and see the well doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the hull, seems to be raised (or filled???) about 3 inches. Is this normal? Pix attached, the tube part that remains is solid. Thanks, Winever.

ouch! that looks awful. are you going to try to fix it?

Thanks Kevin, good info, I'll go check. Tag, yeah, gotta fix it, it's my boat...and I'm missing it, LOL. Cheers, Winever.

Thanks Kevin, good info, I'll go check. Tag, yeah, gotta fix it, it's my boat...and I'm missing it, LOL. Cheers, Winever.

Just measured, from the bottom of the well to the top of the deck is 9 1/8". Wonder if it has been "fixed" before. Could be interesting trying to cut some off and lower it. We'll see, I have a guy coming by this AM to look at it. Cheers, Winever.

Back