Mast Tape

LAuman

Got some 2" plastic mast tape that is supposed to protect the mast and step and to tighten the fit in the step. Instructions say to put the upper piece at 14" above the mast foot. However, this would put the upper tape above the deck by about 1/2", and, it seems to me, that it should be at deck level.
Has anyone used these?

I think what they are aiming for is the deck flange and not
the mast tube itself. If you get it to low it will push on the mast
tube and try to separate the mast tube from the deck flange. So
yes, I would say deck level with the top of the tape-band even
with the deck.

I used a 4" shrink wrap tape...used for shrink wrapping boats..., and used it at the base and JUST under deck level ( or actually just about even) , with just a couple wraps max. Tightened it up a tad, as it was kinda loose beforehand. It's lasted this season so far and was $15 for 100 ft roll or whatever. I use it a lot for other stuff too. Is sticky enough and waterproof that it would make a quick hull patch in a pinch.

I used a 4" shrink wrap tape...used for shrink wrapping boats..., and used it at the base and JUST under deck level, with just a couple wraps max. Tightened it up a tad, as it was kinda loose beforehand. It's lasted this season so far and was $15 for 100 ft roll or whatever. I use it a lot for other stuff too. Is sticky enough and waterproof that it would make a quick hull patch in a pinch.

Got some 2" plastic mast tape that is supposed to protect the mast and step and to tighten the fit in the step. Instructions say to put the upper piece at 14" above the mast foot. However, this would put the upper tape above the deck by about 1/2", and, it seems to me, that it should be at deck level.
Has anyone used these?
'Had to look it up. :oops:

I use duct-tape for just about everything...! :cool:

Fullscreen capture 8192017 31421 PM.bmp.jpg

I think thats mast BOOT tape in the picture. I believe there are sources for "authentic" :)..... sunfish mast (bottom) tape... For the purposes mentioned.

You can also buy a sheet of plastic stuff (maybe Teflon coated?) that fits in the mast hole that virtually eliminates chafe and allows the boat to tack and jybe a little easier I think APS has them.

Alan Glos

I would say deck level with the top of the tape-band even
with the deck.
I use this fancy tape on the mast with the top of it flush with the deck and a second band of it around the bottom of the mast.

What I like about it: It takes up the excess space, and prevents salt water corrosion to the mast at the wear points in the step.

I use this fancy tape on the mast with the top of it flush with the deck and a second band of it around the bottom of the mast.

What I like about it: It takes up the excess space, and prevents salt water corrosion to the mast at the wear points in the step.
Has anyone used these?

Thanks all! There are always some new thoughts.
Actually, I asked the supplier and they told me it was a typo, carried over from Laser literature. The upper piece goes on at 9" above foot.

Back