mast step

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by DK Sailor, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

Great pics of the outside parts of the step, but it's not the outside you should be concerned with. The "doughnut" holding the inner base of the step to the bottom of the hull can dry rot over time, become loose and fall off. This is where the problem begins. I've seen folks sailing along in their boat thinking all is well in the world when SNAP! Down comes the whole rig with a big chunk of deck attached to the bottom of the mast.

The deck placed inspection port is ment solely for mast step repair/maintenance not for a gear bag. If you want to put some glass around the base of your mast you'll have to put a port up there.

If you want to take your chances that's fine too. It's your boat.

2. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Brmmm Brmmm

boat looks in good shape for a '74. Unless there are hairline cracks at the baseof the tube, it's interesting to see how little wear there is on the inside of the mast step. Either it hasn't been sailed much, or they were ladling on the gelcoat that week.

3. DK Sailor

DK Sailor New Member

Thanks all,the boat was refurbished a few years before i bought it and I dont think it was used much because the bottom has like 1 scratch and the whole boat has no spider cracks Ill put more pics also does that wooden ring dryrot from water and is it fiber glassed over? thanks

4. baaadman

baaadman New Member

5. DK Sailor

DK Sailor New Member

6. DK Sailor

DK Sailor New Member

i put that step wear plate in

7. dougreynolds10

dougreynolds10 Member

If you want to put a inspection port in any and you don't want to put it in the deck put it next to the centerboard trunk and you will be able to inspect the mast step from there and see if you need to make any further repairs.

8. DK Sailor

DK Sailor New Member

ive sailed with it in 15 + and its been good. its just that i dont want to drill a bunch of ugly holes im going sailing sunday in 15-20 gusting 30 and ill see how it will act if its wabily or loose ill put a port in also I would like to know if the wooden ring is fiber glassed?

Thanks,
    Doug

9. DK Sailor

DK Sailor New Member

how bad would it be to put a port on the centerline

10. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Brmmm Brmmm

Put the port anywhere you like. I know one guy put a port below the waterline. Haven't seen him around much lately but he made a nice job of it.

Nice main sheet block you've got there.

11. DK Sailor

DK Sailor New Member

thanks thats were ill install one on the centerline

thanks ill post picks of the step once i put the step in anound this weekend.

12. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

I think that if you put it on the centerline, you cut through some kind of supportive stuff and it weakens the boat. Put it off the centerline.

13. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

I hope you didn't take the advice of a guy who talks about putting a port below the waterline.

14. mirage

mirage New Member

Title: Re: mast step
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DK Sailor [​IMG]
    thanks thats were ill install one on the centerline

thanks ill post picks of the step once i put the step in anound this weekend.

I think that if you put it on the centerline, you cut through some kind of supportive stuff and it weakens the boat. Put it off the centerline.

Merrily is right. VT Gent has also posted several times with great knowledge of the Laser construction.

On one of my boats ( '75 #29427) there is a support on the centerline forward of the centerboard trunk. The attached photo although blurry, shows this. I wouldn't cut on centerline. From experience opening several old boats, don't think for a minute that you will see a "wobbly" mast while sailing. It will be ok and then all of a sudden you will have a broken deck with a non-legal mast rake :(. The bonding putty that Laser used degrades with time and the wet-dry cycle that goes on inside the boat. I was able to remove the putty "donut" with my fingers when I opened an old boat to "check it out".

Yes, put a port. Put it off center and slightly behind the step. If you are worried about leaks, seal the port closed with silicone after you are sure that your step is O.K.

Bill

Attached Files:

15. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Brmmm Brmmm

Now here’s a beauty. Not glassed to the hull very well. If at all. (Someone must have already done that other bloke's one already.)

[​IMG]

doesn't look to be any centreline reinforcements in this boat or they couldn’t do this:

[​IMG]

but then this is quite an old boat. you can get the whole story here:

http://members.acadia.net/catamount/Laser/

they use a stock Laser part, which is pretty ugly.

16. DK Sailor

DK Sailor New Member

i want to put it between the to cam cleats and blocks for the cunn out.

17. DK Sailor

DK Sailor New Member

18. Scott B

Scott B Member

You should put the inspection port off-center. If you look closely at the deck of your boat, you will see that the deck slopes from centerline to rail on each side. If you put the port in the middle of the deck, you will have to build up the deck on each side to make a flat surface for the port ring. (The ring needs a flat surface to seal correctly.)

19. DK Sailor

DK Sailor New Member

I plan on doing that

Thanks,
    Doug

20. DK Sailor

DK Sailor New Member

heres what im planning

Attached Files: