Mast and spar holder for trailer

vtsailer

I've made custom bunks for my trailer, and am now moving onto the next phase. I would like to place the mast and spars in an 8 inch PVC tube. I'm trying to figure out the best way to attach the PVC tube to the trailer.

My initial thought is to make a tube that fits into the mast hole, and another adapter for the daggerboard hole. This leaves the stern to be supported. The only spot that seems even plausible is to attach it to the gudgeon. I'm worried, though, that this would bend the gudgeon over time. The mast and PVC will have some weight, and will be putting downward force on the gudgeon whenever I go over a bump in the road.

Am I just being paranoid, or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks!

The PVC tube is going to be really heavy. I have one, and it takes two people to carry it empty. Put that on a fish, and any bumps in the road will probably drive the supporting tube through the bottom of the mast step. I'd try to attach it so that the trailer takes the load instead of the boat.

I've re-thought my strategy. I think I'm going to go with a spar bag and supports along the boat. The tubing will be a real pain in the neck if it has to be removed for launching the boat.

Back to the drawing board...

If yout towing vehicle allows, a sturdy ski rack works great for spars amd sail. I carry 2 sets in a 4 ski rack with ease. Works for skis, too.

I've thought about the spar partners. I just never understood how you attach the sail and spar partners to the trailer or hull. It seems like a mast carrier in the mast hole, dagger board hole, etc would be much more secure.

In lieu of spar partners, has anyone used a pull buoy? It's a swim training aid, and it looks like it would work quite well.

Another alternative is to make it easy on yourself and do what I did. I ordered a mast carrier set from Castlecraft. The forward mount is a four suction cup cradle that I place just in front of the mast hole. The aft unit mounts in the gudgeon. The system is simple and works great! Was $79.95 plus shipping. :)

I've solved the problem by lashing the spars to the roof rack on my car with 4 adjustable bungie cords. I always store my sails inside, so I'd have to take the spars off the boat mount anyway. I've found that lashing them on the roof actually takes less time than lashing them to the boat or mounting a carrier.

I have a Mast Caddie that came with my Phantom. One piece fit in the daggerboard trunk, the other in the rudder gudgeon. I haven't had any problem with the gudgeon bending, but i secure the spars so they don't bounce.

Unfortunately, the company it came from is now a dive shop. If you would like to see it, let me know. If it stops rainging, I'll take a picture.

Back