Mark II Standard Sail

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by mental floss, Oct 2, 2015.

1. mental floss

mental floss Member

Is the new sail designed to use the same amount of vang the current sail?

2. old laser guy

old laser guy New Member

I have the practice sail and class legal sails, you do not have use the same amount of vang. Sailing upwind I just snug it up and that seems to work. I almost never get the sail block to block, mostly 6" apart.

3. Andy B

Andy B Member

I agree with old laser guy and I have summarised my thoughts for the local club fleet here.

• Informative Informative x 4
  4. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Question for those of you who have sailed with the new sail. Did you have to make any alterations to your outhaul and cunningham rigging? Or did everything fit about the same as the old sail? My concern is the control lines may not have the same range of motion and could bottom out with adjusting the rigging.

5. old laser guy

old laser guy New Member

Everything fits the same. I made black marks on the cunningham and outhaul with the class sail and put up the practice sail and the marks were less than 1 inch different.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Thank you. Good feedback.

8. Andy B

Andy B Member

I checked as well and it is about an inch on the boom. The foot of the MKII is only a few mm longer than the MKI and measures with 25mm to spare. The clew eye is set closer to the edge of the training sail giving a combined difference in outhaul hook placement of about 25mm from the MKI standard and 35mm from the MK6 Radial. 35mm is an extra 150mm draft in the sail. On my 8:1 outhaul the difference was very noticeable.

It’s not a problem I just had to adjust the control lines and can’t wait to buy the class legal sail.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. monkey_feet

monkey_feet Arlington, TX

Only thing that totally sucks with the new sail is the fact that I got to buy $65 in battens since the old ones won't fit!

10. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

Sent you a PM

11. jecoolidge2

jecoolidge2 New Member

I would like to hear what people are thinking about the new Mark II sail in the 3-8mph range. I spent about two hours with 6 other boats in flat water. I was the only boat with the new sail.

My observations during this time, include the thought that this new sail is a completely different animal! I was constantly experimenting, changing vang, cunningham, outhaul, all while trimming constantly. I thought I used more vang than with the old sail, to simply match the mast to the luff curve built into the new sail and was thus NEVER close to two- blocking. Two-blocking made the sail way too flat. I also had to use a longer cunningham, as the old minimum setting was just too tight. A tiny amount of cunningham seemed to cause a terrible wrinkle in the luff, which I would not think to be fast. I did not ease the vang from my old base setting, but suspect that to be a point of experimentation.

I think by comparison in these conditions this cut is slow! I had a difficult time matching other boats for both speed and height! During starts the regular cut would just shoot off the line with faster acceleration, and seemed to point more easily. As new pressure would fill, the older cut would slowly walk away. It is my thought that the tacking angles in these conditions, differ between the cuts as well. I think the new sail has definite gears one must shift through to achieve its full potential, it just seems the older cut moves through those more easily.

I am very interested to hear what others have experienced in the light stuff, as I am a lake sailor and will probably sail in that most. Initially I think that this sail was not built for the light end of the range, but I would like to hear what others think. What are you doing for set up?
    Thanks,
    John

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Question for those who have applied sail numbers to the mkII. Do you still apply them with the same offset to the middle batten as with the old design?

13. jecoolidge2

jecoolidge2 New Member

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. oztayls

oztayls Member

• Like Like x 1
  15. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

Thanks for this. But remember that these are only instructions. The rules still have to be amended for the national letters, as the current rule measures them from the bottom horizontal seam. It's probably safe to assume, though, that the measurement will be 400 mm from the bottom batten pocket (as in the instructions) +/- 12 mm (the tolerance for all other character placement).

16. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Silly question:
    which part of the batten goes in first; the 'fat' end or the 'skinny' end?

17. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

The skinny one.

18. Wavedancer

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  19. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Think of it like this. The sail is basically an airfoil turned up on end. You want to have the curve at the forward portion of the airfoil. The skinny/flexible end needs to go in first to help maintain that curve.

20. Wavedancer

Thanks for the explanation.