Man Overboard Equipment for Dinghys

Bruce1177

In my misspent youth we would take turns falling overboard from my family's 1950s Thistle. To get back on board we would simply grab the rail or transom and pull ourselves back into the boat.

Now at the ripe old age of 63 (the new 40) I have discovered to my dismay that I no longer have the upper body strength to get back into our Thistle.

Besides asking Charles Atlas for help, I'm concerned about safety -- I sometimes sail alone and could get myself into real trouble if I went over the side. I'm probably sensitized to this issue right now since this weekend I unintentionally capsized for the first time in my life, and even though no one was hurt, that experience wasn't a lot of fun either in 47 degree water...

So, do any of you Thistle/Lightening/Flying Scott/etc. sailors have any recommendations about emergency ladders or other modifications you have made to your boats to retrieve a MOB sailing alone??

I wonder if this might be a much bigger issue than folks realize for sailing/racing dinghies in the 14' - 20' size.

All advice appreciates. Thanks in advance.

Bruce

Thistle #1177

Chapel Hill, NC

At 79 I totally understand your concerns about upper body strength. There was a time when I thought I could rip the transom off of the boat if I encountered resistance to getting into the boat:p At this point in life I drag a short length of rope with a loop behind the boat. The length is just right to allow me to put my foot in the loop and easily climb into the boat. I only put the rope out if I am alone and not racing, otherwise with two people in the boat it is not too hard to get in with the other person helping. I suspect others have far better ideas...

Jim S. I don't think anybody has a better idea. I have added a recovery line that extends 10' from both port and starboard sides of the boat to assist in righting if I capsize my Trinka 12. Big yellow floating poly with knots tide along the length to assist in grabbing. The loop ladder off the back is classic. The older I get the smarter you are.

Trailing a rope is a good idea but I only do this when single handing a larger boat. There is something about having a 50 to 100 mile swim to shore that I find unappealing. Depending on the weather I may trail 100 to 200 feet of 5/8" to 3/4 line off the stern. If there is a tiller I loop the line around it so that If I pull on the line while in the water it will turn the boat into the wind. Heavier boats could possibly sail on their own for a few miles before lufting or some other unbalance causing the boat to pretty well stop. On the other hand, removing 200 pounds of ugly fat (ME) from a 300 pound boat will almost always cause the boat to do something to stop or slow its forward progress.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    659.3 KB · Views: 32

Back