Mainsheets

tristanaus

They r bastards of a things and the so called non tangle one doesn't blinkin work. I gets tangled heaps so dont think it will solve all ur problems when u buy it like i did because it doesnt:mad:

If you are talking about the Rooster Polilite mainsheet, IMHO, it is the least likely to tangle or knot itself.

However, you do have to make sure you have it completely untwisted before the start. If you don't take the 1 minute to do this, the mainsheet will be much more likely to get fouledup.

The following is directly off Steve's Roostersailing site.

[SIZE=-1]IMPORTANT: It is strongly advisable to wash the Polilite mainsheet in the washing machine on a cold wash with a little powder to wash out any oils from the rope. These oils were used to allow the rope to be made extra tight with more body, so that it kinks less when it is used, but would make the rope slippery for the first 3 or 4 days of use. Always treat it with respect and coil it up (climbing rope style) so kinks or twists never form. Please check the outer core for ware as this is the load bearer – we recommend that you change the rope after 1 year of weekend use. When you rig the boat – please ensure that all the coils and kinks are taken out of the rope before you dead end it in the boat (the rope will not absorb or create kinks from then on). I throw mine across the boat park and pull out the twists before I rig it on the boat.
[/SIZE]

Umm i did all of the above and i even tie it to a pole and stretch it out before i even rig it on my boat and it still tangles f***ing heaps!!!:mad:

My mainsheet was given to me in 2002 when New England was introducing their new "what they thought would be great" mainsheet material.

I have zero complaints.
it is soft to the touch. it does not seem to tangle at all. It is still working after four not particularly active seasons of sailing.

One possible key? It sinks in a cockpit full of water , so it does not "agitate in the washing machine."

I dunno about that... as you may have read some friends and I have been going through this boat and replacing just about everything as funds and motivation allows. The line packages that I saw were in the $80-$90 range. I spent $28 at the camping store. I dont have any issues yet.

wow!
for some reason i thought that climbing gear was like boat stuff. add the word climbing on to anything & the proice goes up like crazy.
i stand corrected.

cheers

tristanaus said:
Umm i did all of the above and i even tie it to a pole and stretch it out before i even rig it on my boat and it still tangles f***ing heaps!!!:mad:

Stretching it out on a pole could ad to the problem. Are you dead ending it on the back side of your hiking strap in the boat?

I always work the kinks out of mine while rigging. I rig, pull the sheet in and work my way to the end working the kinks out as I go. then I dead end it in the cockpit and throw the rest in. I'll get a knot on occasion, but mostly trouble free operation. I"ve heard using the 60 mm Ronstan carbo ratchet helps a lot with the Rooster main sheet as well.

Tie a Rooster mainsheet to your hiking strap, or just hang on to it, and trail the whole thing in the water. Doing so will untwist any kinks and you will be happy ever after. Then don't coil it in the boat. Just kick it to the front in a pile. I rarely have tangles.

Cheers for those options i will try them today. Will comment on how it goes!!!!
I think ill try tieing it to hiking strap and not stretching on a pole maybe.

Back