Mainsheet block

PiersHS

Hi guys,

I have a laser XD with the older version mainsheet block on. I was wondering whether it is worth replacing this with a newer version? The old one works fine but are the newer blocks much better?

P.S I am not sure which ones are class legal. What are the rules on this?

Attachments

• images-h019.jpg
    images-h019.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 40
There are no restrictions on the principle mainsheet block for a laser, I've known people just to use a simple ball bearing block rather than a rachet block. As for a specific brand, I think the Fredricksen ratchets (now owned by Ronstan) are superior to the Harken or other Ronstan Rachets.

That's the old Fredricksen Ratchet block. Ronstan is now only producing them on special order from what they informed me. They've been superceded by their Orbit Rachet block series (40mm and 55mm sheave), whch in my opinion isn't as good.

I have the Ronstan Orbit 55 RF 56100 with the new swivel post, I had previously had the Orbit 55 RF 56101 using the Dyneema link but it was replaced under warranty when a internal part failed. I live in Melbourne where Ronstan have their Head Office and they replaced it with the newer model even though it is more expensive, at no extra cost. The warranty is for three years and when I saw them all they asked is what I was sailing and at the mention of a Laser it was no problem.

So based on after sales experience I can recommend the Orbit block, it has already being discussed previously on this forum re the performance, lets just say it does what it's meant to do which is hold the mainsheet without much effort and release smoothly in the auto mode.

When I bought my Orbit block I was warned that it wears out mainsheets faster as the teeth are pretty sharp, but I love the holding power!

My Orbit failed yesterday.
The plastic clip ripped apart as a rounded the windward mark.
I had used it no more than ten times.
Its a great block, Iam just surprised by the failure.

Mike

My Orbit failed yesterday.
The plastic clip ripped apart as a rounded the windward mark.
I had used it no more than ten times.
Its a great block, Iam just surprised by the failure.

Mike

Is it one of the first designs of orbit? There were troubles with the switch, a part failed in mine which I bought from intensity and my dealer in Australia replaced it straight away, I think because Ronstan would cover it. Let Ronstan know about this they would probably like to have a look at your block and replace it.

I am not sure which version it is.
There doesnt seem to be a problem with the switch, it snapped where the dyneema line attaches.
I can post a pic if interested.

Mike

I am not sure which version it is.
There doesnt seem to be a problem with the switch, it snapped where the dyneema line attaches.
I can post a pic if interested.

Mike

You'd be better off bringing it back to the dealer or contacting the Ronstan rep in your area to help you resolve the issue. I've been using the same version for a couple years (since it was first avail in North America) with the dyneema attachment and haven't had an issue with that part.

You will notice however that Ronstan now offers the Orbit with the more common "post and shackle" attachment, which is a much more bullet-proof and low maint. (and does not require swapping out or modifing the attachment eyestrap so that the dyneema link does not chafe) You may want to see if they will swap your block for the post/shackle block

I took it back to the dealer and they said they would put a call into Ronstan.
I ended up buying a new clip for it but I have very little confidence with it.
Not sure I want to put it back on.

Mike

]I am now using a 40mm Harken Carbo Ratchet block as it is small, lightweight, has really good running in low winds and has more than enough holding power ( 1ton). I still have the big one so I will experiment to see which is best but I have heard the big ones are just unnecesary....

Pics
2608.gif

Back